Orvieto Restaurant Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello: We will be spending (2) nights in Orvieto in June. I've read many comments that Orvieto is full of good places to eat. Can anyone recommend some of the "stand-outs" for lunch/dinner? We will have our two girls w/ us (ages 10 & 15) but they are well behaved and they both love great food.
Appreciate any feedback.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:31 AM
ira

ttt
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:43 AM

LJ: With the two children, you may want to lunch at a fabulous cafeteria-style place...smack on the main street of Orvieto...you can't miss it..right hand side of the pedestrian street ...the name escapes me and it's not in my journal...but the setting and the food offered is top quality...very reasonable and the kids would certainly enjoy it...pastries are superb, too.

Stu T.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:46 AM

...and a fine trattoria "Del Moro" on a narrow side street off the main pedestrian street...excellent for lunch or dinner.
Stu. T
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tower. Appreciate the tips. And you're right - children always enjoy a choice. I've also seen a lot of posts saying that "I Setti Consoli" is not to be missed. Did you have a chance to dine there?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 01:45 PM

I Sette Consoli was one of the best meals of our trip this past April. Based on Ira's recommendation! It was a lovely place but I am not so sure about your kids. I think they had the menu posted outside, so you could always look before you leap. But I would highly recommend it.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mcg. Just curious - you said you weren't sure about the kids at I Setti Consoli. Can you tell me more - is it possibly the length of the dining experience or did it seem that kids wouldn't be welcome/comfortable? Appreciate your feedback....
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:18 PM

We ate at I Sette Consoli last August and, as already stated here, it was one of the THE BEST meals we have ever had (and we have eaten at a LOT of great restaurants). We went there for lunch and sat outside in the back courtyard. Our fellow outdoor diners included a table with 2 very young children and another table with 3 children from toddler to pre-teen. I did not notice a problem for the families of these children. In fact, it was a relaxed atmosphere and throughout the lunch the children got up and walked around the area and played. Lunch was not a short affair, but as I mentioned the atmosphere was relaxed. I think if your children love great food, this would be a very nice experience for them. We absolutely loved this restaurant and it became one the highlights of our almost month-long trip last year.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Great O_T. Our kids would love to experience possibly the best restaurant in Orvieto. The atmosphere sounds great too. Do you know if they serve dinner in the courtyard - if we choose to go that route? I don't know how it will feel in mid-June, maybe too cool. Did you have to make reservations well in advance? Thanks again......
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:46 PM

Last April, we had a wonderful dinner at Maurizio, via Duomo 78. I can still taste the grilled eggplant.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:19 AM
ira

Hi LJ,

>Our kids would love to experience possibly the best restaurant in Orvieto.<

I hesitated to recommend I Sette Consoli because of the kids. It is not only the best in Orvieto, it is worth a visit if you are within 100 km.

Lunch or dinner in the garden would be a great experience. The fixed price menu is for everyone at the table, but they might be able to accomodate you, if the kids order a la carte.

You must make reservations.

Piazza Sant’Angelo 1A
phone/fax 011 39 0763 343911

Have a great visit.

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:06 AM

We made our reservations about 6 weeks out but that is because I like to tie up as many loose ends as early as possible before leaving on our trips.

I cannot say positively but I would be shocked if they did not serve dinner in the garden as well as lunch. It was such a lovely experience ... wispy/gauzy white cloth draped over an iron-like gazebo, with the cloth blowing gently in the wind ... GREAT wine ... impeccable service ... fantastic food ...

Enjoy!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Had two on our last visit to Orvieto and they are:
RISTORANTE ETRUSCA, via Maitani, 10, $$$
Closed Monday, located 1/4 block down from Duomo....
RISTORANTE MAURIZIO, via Duomo, 78, $$$
Closed Tuesday in Duomo Square..
Were very satisified with both food and
service at either place..
Richard of LaGrange Park, IL..
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the continued input. We will definitely be making a reservation at I Sette Consoli. I wonder if the menu differs much between lunch and dinner - just not sure yet which way we'll go? Curious too if any of you have tried "Vissani"? I understand that Gianfranco Vissani is one of the premier chefs in Umbria and that his restaurant is close to Orvieto.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:19 AM

We were in Orvieto last month and ate at both I Sette Consuli and Trattoria del Moro. I Sette Consuli was perhaps the best meal we had in Italy. The female chef is very creative and uses wonderful local ingredients. It was a 5 course fixed price dinner that was not inexpensive and took several hours. We savored every minute. I don't know about your budget or the length of time your girls can spend at the table, but IMO if you can swing it, you shouldn't miss this wonderful experience. On the contrary, Trattoria del Moro was ordinary, mediocre food, the worst house wine we ever had (tasted like grape juice- I wouldn't even drink it and I'm Irish and will drink just about anything)and poor service. The only people eating there were people we had seen in our hotel, so I figured the hotel got a kickback for sending their guests there. I wouldn't bother.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Really appreciate the continued input from everyone and ira - thanks for the ttt. It really helped. Hi sharkmom (interesting name). Thanks for your feedback. A few questions if I may re: dinner at I Sette Consoli:
1) Do you recall the cost of the fixed prixe dinner? Wonder what it would be for lunch ( in the event that they might not alter the charge for the girls for dinner, or maybe the portions aren't large. We actually prefer smaller plates)?
2) Can I ask at which hotel you stayed? Did you like it? I'm trying to decide between Hotel Duomo and Hotel Corso. We will have a car.
You're too funny about the house wine at Moro. I hate to confess this but my husband and I are quite ignorant when it comes to wine. I feel we should take some kind of a course before we go. We have our Jack Daniel Sours and Margaritas ( we're in AZ ) and we're pretty well set. I don't think Italy is too big on cocktails (they don't have to be - right! ) - but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for any additional input.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:04 AM
ira

Hi L,

Fixed price lunch at I Sette Consoli is about 40E.

Don't know about dinner, but one dining review thought that 180E for dinner for two (with wines) was more than well worth the cost.

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira. You're always a wealth of information. Appreciate your time........
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:55 AM

Dinner was 40E per person plus 3 Euro cover plus wine at I Sette Consuli. I doubt if they will adjust the price based upon portion size. We did stay at the Hotel Duomo. The location was fantastic and the people were very nice. We had a car and they took it every night to their lot and kept it secure. The only down side for us concerned internet access. Despite what they say, they don't have high speed access only dial-up. This probably won't be a problem for most leisure travelers but was an issue for us.