Notices

Orvieto

Old May 25th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Rocky

Orvieto

Does anyone out there have a restaurant they'd recommend in Orvieto?

Old May 25th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Graziella

Il giglio d'oro in the Duomo's square.

Old May 26th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Tom

How about Girarrosto del Buongustaio? Heard good things, not sure how far this is from Orvieto (described as overlooking Orvieto)

Old May 26th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Wayne

If you stand in front of the cathedral with your back to the front door, look diagonally to your right to the street that runs out from that far corner of the square. Go down that street only about 20 feet or so and find a really great restaurant on your left. I just can't remember its name, but it's one of the nicest restaurants I've enjoyed in Italy, and the prices are reasonable.

Old May 26th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Mariarosa

We loved both dinners we had in Orvieto:

1) La Grotte del Funaro locateded in Ripa Serancia, #41. We had wonderful ravioli in truffle sauce, ricotta and spinach ravioli in a pink sauce (similar to a vodka sauce), steak with porcini mushrooms, boar steak with rosemary. With a bottle of wine and a shared dessert, it was about 65 euros.

2) Duca di Orvieto - website -www.ducadiorvieto.com. We were there on a special evening that they had a prix-fixe medieval menu with paired wines and it was excellent.

Alsso, do not miss the gelato shop that is on the Duomo.

Old May 27th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Barbara

Have eaten in Orvieto many times, I think the best resturant for traditional Italian food of that region is the Etruscan, not too far from the Duomo. And for a really gourmet treat there is I Sette Consoli, which I think got a Michelin star this year.

Old May 27th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Uncle Sam

Trattoria Etruscan is outstanding. Try the pasta with wild obar and of course sample the Orvieto Classico.

If you stand on the front steps of the duomo and look straight ahead, go up that little street about a hundred yards and the trattoria is on the right.

US