Orvieto Todi area

Search

Orvieto Todi area

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orvieto Todi area

Hi,<BR>My friends and I have rented a house near Orvieto in Torre San Severo the 2nd week of July. Any must-see recommendations in the Orvieto/ Todi area? Of special interest...beautiful hikes, great restaurants, lovely sights. Also any &quot;don't waste your time at ____&quot; opinions would be welcome as well. Thanks so much! <BR>Annie
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:32 AM

You absolutely should go to the little walled hill town of Civita. It was one of the highlights of my trip to Orvieto. Very picturesque and quaint. I think only about 15 people actually live there year round. It was just a short bus ride from Orvieto.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:10 AM

I second the recommendation for Civita, which is accessible from Bagnoreggio. Suggest you lunch at the Hosteria del Ponte overlooking Civita, then walk across and explore the tiny town.<BR><BR>Favorite restaurants in Orvieto: Zeppelin, Volpe y L'Uva (sp?)(Fox &amp; Grapes), and The Etruscan. Be sure you eat some umbrichelli (Umbrian pasta) with truffle sauce. Yummmmmm!<BR><BR>Don't miss the San Brizio chapel at the Orvieto Duomo. Astounding frescoes by Signorelli.<BR><BR>I'll be in Orvieto for a week at exactly the same time -- see you there!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 11:05 AM
DRJ

I recommend the little hilltown of Monte Castello di Vibio, a few km north of Todi. It is the site of what is claimed to be the smallest theatre in th world, something like four tiers but seating only 99. It was, unfortunately, closed when we were there. At the top of the hill is a hotel which, as I remember, is built into a hill and has an exceptional restaurant connected. Also, the little town seems to have been built of stone out of one quarry. Extraordinary.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

These suggestions all sound great! Thanks a bundle.<BR>Annie
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
We based in Todi for 4 nights last June.<BR><BR>Highlights: Todi, Carsulae (Roman ruins), Deruta (for pottery)<BR><BR>See Bill Thayers Umbria guide for great info on many, many sites.<BR><BR>http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/Italy/Umbria/home.html<BR>
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:11 PM

Ten kilometers from Orvieto at Baschi is one of the greatest Italian restaurants: &quot;Vissani&quot;<BR>Many persons say it is better than &quot;Gambero Rosso&quot;, in San Vicenzo.<BR>Enjoy, Ismael