Reload this Page >

Umbria small town recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Chris S

I've already decided to spend 3 nights in Cortona (where I've been before), and I'm trying to decide where to stay for 3 nights in Umbria. I'm looking for small town, like Cortona, with central square, locals out at night, good restaurants, hotel in center (walk home after wine, step out for breakfast coffee to a local cafe!). <BR><BR>Don't care about museums, galleries; shops; just want a beautiful town I can walk round with wonderful atmosphere. Preferably central so I can travel around. Todi, Spello are names I've heard. Any other recommendations? <BR><BR>I'll have a car, and expect to pay around $100+ for a room.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Dayle

Todi & Orvieto would both be wonderful for what you want. Haven't been to Spello - yet.<BR><BR>buon viaggio!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Kay

Chris,<BR>we stayed in Orvieto last month, in Umbria. Very nice, we caught the train to Orvieto Scala then you get a funicular to Orvieto, the hilltop town. If you have a car you can drive up and park on the outskirts of town. Big piazza with spectacular Duomo, the frescos are truly amazing. Not many tourists there and not much English spoken either. Great local market (I think Thurs and Sat) - we were the only tourists there. The underground tour run by the tourist office was interesting.<BR>Kay

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Wayne

Todi is nice, but I would opt for Montefalco, just south of Foligno. Of course Orvieto is also lovely, but I don't view it as being picturesque outside of the big cathedral square. Montefalco is a much smaller place that just feels nice and intimate, with lots of charm.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Vincenzo

Chris,<BR>besides Orvieto, I suggest Bevagna and, if you like Lake Trasimeno, also Magione, where there are good hotels and very nice restaurants.<BR>Have a nice trip.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:35 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I would vote for Bevagna or Spello for a central location in Umbria. However, also do a search under the name Malvarina for a nice rural place near Spello. Spoleto is a bit south but also meets your criteria.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Dale

CHRIS:<BR>I recommend either Spello or Bevagna.<BR><BR>In Spello, its La Bastilia, a neat hotel at the very top of the town with an exceptional kitchen.<BR><BR>In Bevagna, walk into Enoteca Piazza Onofri for great Umbrian food and wine and ask about their apartments. Comfortable and affordable.<BR><BR>Don't forget to try the Sagrantino from Montefalco. Yum.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Dale

Actually, of course, its La Bastilia with the great kitchen, not Spello. Me scuzi.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Chris S

My Fodors book says there's nowhere really to stay in Todi ('daytrip material') so ... <BR><BR>Spello and Bevagna seem to be recommended by people here. Spello seems more appealing as it seems a little larger, and has more dining/logding options (in the town itself). So Spello seems best. <BR><BR>I have ruled out Assisi based on presumed crowds/tackiness, but ... reading about it last night, sounds like it's a gem ... so is it worth trying to stay there?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Holly

To Chris S: I (regretably) spent four nights in Assisi last week. One would've sufficed nicely. Hotel Umbra is an excellent location.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Chris S

I just bit the bullet and booked three nights at Hotel La Bastiglia (recommended here and in the book) in Spello. I'll let folks know how it went! I plan to drive to Gubbio, Assisi, Orvieto, Bevagna, Todi in my three days. Thanks for all the help!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Judi

Chris, good choice! I love Spello and although we stayed at the Palazzo Bocci (and loved it) we had two of our best meals in Italy at La Bastiglia. The hotel has wonderful views and I'm sure you will be happy there. I hope you have a great trip.

Old May 11th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Chris S

Back from the trip ... Spello was fantastic - classic hill town; steep, winding streets, cozy, narrow alleys, views of the surrounding countryside at every step. Spoleto was a letdown, after all the gorgeous towns. A little too large, and a little rough around the edges. Todi and Trevi both were classic too. Just one observation on Spello - the center of town has a modern building ... must have been built just after the war. Luckily, the rest of the town is so homogeneous, it didn't matter. <BR><BR>Bevagna was a letdown - flat, not too interesting - glad I didn't stay there. Montefalco was great - perched on a hill, views of everywhere right from the central square. Orvietto was a charmer. <BR><BR>Assisi was pretty - but I lost count of the number of cranes in view - bad for pictures! Still beautiful, you could really appreciate how it would look. <BR><BR>The drive to Gubbio was wonderful; Gubbio itself was the focal point of a major storm, so we didn't see too much ... but looked interesting. <BR><BR>Another point about Spello, and La Bastiglia - they don't have parking, and parking is very tough at that edge of town. <BR><BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:12 AM
topper

Topping for Pat.