Tipping in Switzerland

Search

Tipping in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping in Switzerland

I read on another site that tipping, except for perhaps the change remaining from the check, is not really expected in Switzerland. Could those of you with more experience please comment. Certainly want to do the right thing.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:53 AM

For a major meal, leave perhaps 5 to 10 francs over the bottom line of the bill if the service is good. Up the ante a little more if there are 5 or more people. Tip in cash when paying. That way you know the server gets the money rather than the cashier. I have never paid directly to the cashier in any European restaurant. The server always had a big leather purse from which he or she made change when I paid. <BR><BR>I have heard that the server often does not get any of the money if the tip amount is inscribed on the credit card charge receipt. The easiest way to ensure that the server gets the money is to calculate the amount of the tip and hand over the money directly when you pay, whether by cash or credit card. <BR><BR>I think Americans have a reputation for tipping well because we are conditioned to add a minimum of 10%. I usually get good service in Swiss restaurants because that is the norm from a mostly professional staff.<BR><BR>In Austria I have found it a little harder to know whom to tip because more than one person is often involved. For example at the Golden Duck [Gasthotel zur goldenen Ente] in Salzburg, Robert Duernle is [was last year] the man very much in charge. He often (usually) takes the order and settles the bill, but all of the food is brought by the members of the serving staff. Whom do I tip when two or three different people are involved?<BR><BR>
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:55 AM

Hello Clousie,<BR><BR>I once heard a story of a very wealthy Swiss woman who owned a business. She took a dozen or so of her top executives out to a fancy dinner -- and after several hours of fine dining left the waiter ony a few francs. The storyteller, a Swiss man, told me that may be considered a bit unusual in Switzerland (because of the size of the party and the class of the restaurant), but not by much!<BR><BR>Once in Locarno, a waitress refused to take a 10% tip I intended to leave; she smiled and handed me back the francs that exceeded the customary round-up.<BR><BR>So now I stick to the round-up. I usually ask for a certain amount in change, you know, 5 francs back whatever.<BR><BR>s
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:57 AM

Sorry.<BR><BR>OR whatever.<BR><BR>s
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:32 AM
jor

Just across the boarder in Germany you are only expected to leave coin change. Anything more is considered &quot;American&quot; for what its worth.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 11:46 AM

I agree with Bob_Brown and Swanday. I also tip with cash to make sure the waiter actually gets it. And round-up works well too.<BR><BR>But I can hardly imagine waiters feel offended from overtipping (10-15 %) by customers even in Switzerland where service is included everywhere. At very touristic restaurants, they might even expect a little more from tourists than from locals. That said, here is an personal observation by one person (me) who lives in Geneva since 15 years. For a total bill of CHF 100.-, (for 2 persons at modarately priced restarants ), we usually leave maximum 5.- or less. And maybe older Swiss tend to leave less than young Swiss or non-Swiss living here. <BR><BR>
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:13 PM
jmw

So here's a naive question: The service that is included in the bill doesn't go to the waitress/waiter? Told you it was naive, but I really thought it did. Sometimes I think I'm still traveling in the 70's.

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:13 PM
MGB

When my daughter was in Munich, when they left more than change, the waitress was insulted and told them so! This was at a beer hall!