Search

SNCF weirdness

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNCF weirdness

On March 30, I canceled a ticket order from SNCF. I immediately received an e-mail noting the annulment.<BR><BR>Today, the annulment e-mail disappeared from my in-box. I went through every file and folder, including deleted and sent items. I then checked my credit card and saw that the charge for the tickets had been taken off my account and then put back on again.<BR><BR>I plan to call them in the morning to straighten this out, but since I'm no technical wizard, can anyone tell me if SNCF could have &quot;recalled&quot; the annulment e-mail it sent me?<BR><BR>Curiouser and curiouser. . . <BR><BR>
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:09 PM

that is truly weird. I don't know of a mail program that lets anyone to delete an opened piece of mail from someone elses mailbox. I just ordered and paid for two tickets for next month. I signed up and got a login, etc and lo and behold when the ticket order popped up, I received an additional discount. The tickets are not refundable, however, but we're positive we're going now. There's a phone number and they do have English speaking staff-- I suggest you call them ASAP
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

I called them and they said that the ticket order had been cancelled and that the refund should show up on my credit card soon. We did not get into the disappearing e-mail. <BR><BR>I rebooked--at a higher price--but I will worry about those charges until they disappear. Earlier this week--because of plane cancellations--I was holding tickets on three different airlines (American, BA, and USAirways) and living in ticket limbo, hoping the one charge would be refunded before the other went through and that the third wouldn't be processed at all.<BR><BR>Fortunately, American Express was very helpful and kept an eye out for the appropriate transactions. Looks like I will just continue my daily inspection of my account summary and wait for one set of train tickets to disappear and another to appear, just like I did with the plane tickets.<BR><BR>Aaaarrrgghh. I love independent travel, but sometimes I really hate handling all the details.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:25 AM

I know that my incoming mail will be automatically deleted after a while by the system. Maybe that's what happened to your email message since it was received since March 30.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:33 AM
ira

Hi elle,<BR> If you are using a web-based eml provider, it is possible that they limit the time something is kept in your in-box, since they have to keep it on their server.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 11:07 AM

I don't think it's possible if you had opened and read the email, because then it should be on your hard drive. My ISP always deleted any mail after a few weeks, maybe 3, but has an option to save a copy in a &quot;filing cabinet&quot; if you select that option, which I did. So even when the email disappears from the queue (inbox or sent) a copy remains in this file if I had opened it.<BR><BR>I don't think SNCF could have done it, but your ISP could have if you didn't open it yet. It's possible you just accidentally erased it, also, I have done that.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

It was opened and read, not unread. <BR>And many older e-mails are still there!<BR><BR>Christina, if I had accidentally erased it, is there somewhere on the computer where it would be? It is not showing up in the Trash or deleted items?<BR><BR>Many thanks.