Search

Orvieto Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orvieto Hotels

I'm trying to book a nice room in Orvieto for a couple of nights at the end September. I have emailed La Badia three times and received no response. Does anyone have any alternative method of reaching La Badia or at least experience that they will eventually respond to my emails?

Palazzo Piccolomini has no availablity for the nights that I want to be there. Would the Hotel Duomo be a good alternative? It gets good reviews on Trip Advisor and the price is much better than at La Badia but it is only 2 stars. Any other recommendations in town (or very close to town)?
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM
psulli

We stayed at Hotel Duomo in Feb and really liked it. It was just around the corner from the Duomo. We took the funicular up from the train station and then the bus to the Duomo...it was just a short walk to the hotel although you did need to go down a couple of stairs to reach the hotel. The decor is rather on the modern side with a great bathroom...the view out our window of the Duomo was very nice over the rooftops of Orvieto. I would definitely stay there again on another visit.

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:13 PM

If you will have a car, I strongly recommend the Locanda Rosati. If you stay there, be sure to get half-board. Dinner there is very good and fun.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

We will have a car but had the impression that Locanda Rosati is quite a ways from Orvieto. How far is it? Is it close enough to go into town for the evening passegiata? Is it difficult t find a place to park near the town? The Locanda Rosati is rated #1 Orvieto hotel on TripAdvisor. Why does it get such high ratings?
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Hi Go,

I'm sorry I don't have another personal rec for you because we did stay at Palazzo Piccolomini.

You do know that La Badia is also outside of Orvieto? Just not too far.

Have you looked on venere.com and italyby.com? May have more listings.

Buona fortuna!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 01:24 PM

I also recommend the Hotel Duomo. Great location, nice rooms and bathrooms. Right next to Duomo and the bus that takes you back to the funicular.

WE didn't pickup our car until we arrived in Orvieto where we didn't need it. The rental agency is just to the right as you exit the funicular. Very convenient to rent here rather than out of Rome.

We were on our way to Tuscany.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Another rec. for Hotel Duomo. We stayed here in July 2005. Modern rooms,great location and if you have a car owners will park it for you in their garage.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM

Be warned that La Badia is not by any means walking distance to Orvieto. You have to drive, since there aren't taxis at night. I will stay in Orvieto next time.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Locanda Rosati is about 5-6 miles on the outskirts of Orvieto. It's a short ride into town, along with stops for some great views/pictures of the hillside town. There's parking up in the center of town near the Duomo.

We spent 2 nights there, and had their 4-course dinner each night. It included all the wine, grappa, and lemoncello you could stomach. The food was served family style, and I remember vividly my wife's words as I went for seconds on the pasta course: "For the man who doesn't care for pasta, you're having seconds?"

There's also a little Trattoria Mora around the corner for a great lunch for a reasonable price.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:05 PM

I stayed at La Badia for four nights in May 2004. I used this email address to communicate back and forth several times. Maybe it has changed by now?
[email protected]
The hotel was nice, and the restaurant very good, but you will need a car to go into Orvieto. Parking in Orvieto was easy, I used the pay parking garage. Enjoy.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Another thumbs up for Hotel Duomo. Nice rooms, good breakfast, great location. Just make sure they charge you in EURO not in US DOLLARS, which is definitely not in your best interest. Specify this at check out, or even the night before, before they total your charges. Scout out the gelateria nearby: Turn right out the front door of the hotel (not the side door), up a few steps, then turn left and walk a few steps. It's right there.

Gelateria Pasqualetti
Piazza Duomo, 14
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:01 PM

Maybe theyt don't read e-mails quickly in Orvieto. I waited almost a week before hearing from LaBadia that they had no rooms for the period I was trying for (end of June/beginning of July). Locanda Rosati responded faster, but they were also booked. So it looks like we'll be at Hotel Duomo (about two days for a response).
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:16 PM

Our travel agent has booked us into the Albergo Filippeschi. Their websight looks pretty good. It is located in old town.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM

A place that gets mixed reviews, but which I liked a lot, was Villa Cicconia. It's down on the highway, not on the plateau of the centro storico, but for someone driving , this is a plus. No vies, but set in its own wooded little acreage that sems removed from the busy neighborhood outside.
I liked the large rooms with whitewashed stucco, as opposed to the frequently over-decorated rooms you often run into. The decor suits the peaceful, almost monastic quality of the building - wide halls, simple but strong furnishings, handsome old doors. Many people seem to find Cicconia's staff cold, but it was not a problem for us. Spacious hotel in general, nice bathroom. And very convenient to running off to Todi or Spoleto, if that's in your plans. Decent restaurant - if you happen to arrive later in the day (it was dusk when we arrived) that can be convenient - although there is one night a week when they don't open for dinner - Monday, I think.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

I have booked a junior suite at Hotel Duomo. I also emailed an inquiry to the Locanda Rosati and their automated reply said that they would let me know about avialability but then I never heard from them again. It's strange because I booked all other Italian hotels for my trip on the internet and never had any problem except those two hotels (La Badia and Locanda Rosati) in/near Orvieto.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Hotel Gialletti

Via Costanzi Angelo, 71
05018 Orvieto (TR)
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:42 AM

Did you try to Residenza il Palazzo??? They rent beautiful apartments in the city centre into an historical buildind ( 16th century).
Anyway Hotel Duomo is quite good.
Last time I used to stay to the B&B Valentina close by Piazza del Popolo so right in the centre. I did not like the treatment while I was booking at Palazzo Piccolomini so I decided to change and reserve a triple room at Valentina B&B. During my week of vacation I have found many other beautiful places but without car it's not such easy to travel especially if you like to be into a farmhouse in the countryside.