Rent a Car in Italy?

Search

Rent a Car in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rent a Car in Italy?

We're going to Italy for the first time in late May. Rome for a few days followed by the Amalfi Coast and then on to Florence for several days. Although we have no desire to have a car in Rome, we're thinking about renting one when we leave to drive to Amalfi and then up to Florence. You know, maybe a convertable Alfa Romeo or some such thing. Would love some input as to the pros and cons of renting a car there. Thanks.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:17 PM

I went with a group two years ago so I didn't have to drive, but I do remember that in some areas you're not legally supposed to be driving within the city if you are not a resident. Also, I thought I was going to die on the way to the hotel from the airport in Florence. People tend to drive wherever there's a space in the road and don't stick to lanes. Lots of motorcycles/mopeds that zip in and out of traffic to watch for. We got a van from Hertz in Florence.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 03:04 AM
ira

Hi C,

>Rome for a few days followed by the Amalfi Coast and then on to Florence..

May I suggest flying into Naples and out of Florence, or vice versa.

If you are flying in/out of Rome, I suggest that immediately upon arrival either:

Take the train to Salerno and the ferry to Amalfi or Positano.
(For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://tinyurl.com/j4ufa)

OR

Take the AV (2-4-1 special fare) to Naples and the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.

Then go to Florence and then to Rome before flying home.

You won't need a car.

If you do decide to rent a convertible, don't lock it. Thieves will cut the top to break in.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 04:50 AM
eri

I absolutely disagree with ira. Stay in Rome and fetch a rental before you leave. Most rental agency are in the main train terminal. Very easy to reach.
It all depends how long you want to stay in Italy. Amalfi is south of Rome, while Florence is north. The drive from Amalfi to Florence is long. But, there is a lot to see and visit on both routes. A car will make your trip much more enjoyable and you could easily reach many small towns that you will not be able with any other kind of transportation. Once you reach Florence and unless you find a hotel with parking, return the car. Parking in Florence is murder.
Don't rent a convertible in Italy. I know, it looks beautiful in movies, but in reality, you will most probably suffer from thieves. This is Italy! Even with a regular sedan, try to hide your staff, don't leave maps visible.
Have a great trip!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:34 AM

I think both ira and eri give good advice. I believe the distinction lies in whether you intend to include Tuscany in your itinerary. You don't mention it and if your time is limited, do as ira suggests. Without making the stops in various (Tuscan) small towns, as eri suggests, it makes no sense IMO, to have a car to whiz along on the autostrada from Amalfi to Florence. (There's not that much to see between Rome and Amalfi.)
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:47 AM

Our two trips to Italy involved renting a car for the majority of the time there and except for one completely unwise decision - driving into Florence for our three day stay - it really added to the pleasure of our stay. We did mostly secondary roads and found places and things not in the typical guide book.
My suggestion would be to take public transportation to the Amalfi Coast and explore that area by bus and boat, but pick up the rental car on the way to Florence and explore along the way. Don't try to make it in one day. See Pompeii, Caserta and the royal palace and gardens, spend the night in Orvieto. Then maybe Montalcino, Siena, and the Chianti road to Florence. But ditch the car someplace outside the centro storico!