Orange vs. Nimes vs. Isle Sur la Sorgue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Orange, Nimes and Isle-sur-la-Sorgue: Ideally we would like to visit all 3, but if we had time to visit only 1 or 2 of them, which 1 or 2 did you like best and why?<BR><BR>Also, is the Thursday market at Isle as good as the Sunday market? Thanks!
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Nimes is technically Langudoc not Provence but it has a greatest preserved Roman amphitheatre.<BR>Orange has one but smaller. I like Isle-sur-la-Sorgue when on Sunday, the whole town is one big flea market. And dining on the bridges over the canal is fun.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 07:59 PM

Isle sur la Sorgue is ok during market day on Sunday but parking is a royal pain, you have to either luck out to find a spot and really really want to got to the market or head for the parking lot that is far far away and hope that someone is leaving, we had to try two different sundays to finally find a spot, it is great to see the markets if you can find a parking spot but it isn't the best time to see a town. still, provence is wonderful even when driving around looking for parking We found Orange to be a beautiful city around the theatre with a good city museum and great fabric stores, I love the provencal fabrics, wish I'd bought more. Deborah
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:06 AM

We stayed in Orange Sept 2001, nice little quiet town. Used it as our base in Provence. Go to Isle-Sur-la-Sorgue for the Sunday flea market. I don't remember having trouble parking. It was crowded though! We bought lunch from one of the vendors and ate on the banks of the river Sorgue. Great day enjoy!
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 07:00 AM

I haven't been to Orange or Nimes, so can't compare, but have been to Isle sur la Sorgue on Sunday. I didn't really care for it and didn't find it that attractive a town, at least around that market. Parking was difficult and I got there when it was winding down in the afternoon. From what I've read, the Thursday market is smaller (of course, since people work) so I think that would be preferable, but I guess that depends how much you like crowds and those flea market things.<BR><BR>I don't really like them that much because I've been to a lot of them in France and they all have the same stuff, most of it junk. I read Sunday has more of that (bric-a-brac). I didn't see a lot of antiques because I wasn't shopping for that, but if you are, you might like the Sunday one.<BR><BR>It was very crowded with a lot of people and a lot of trash around, crowded restaurants, etc. I just didn't like it that much.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 08:46 AM

We went to the Provence about 5 years ago in late Sept/early Oct . . . had not planned to go to Orange but had a few days left over and went for it. <BR><BR>We ended up at a budget hotel that happened to be full of young USA college kids who were there for a month or so studying to be chefs. They told us about some really great (and inexpensive) places to eat, and they happened to be working there . . . so, we got &quot;special&quot; treatment and extraordinary meals. Plus, Orange was a really nice, small town.<BR><BR>We made a daytrip over to Isle for the market, guess we were lucky as we found a parking spot quickly, and proceeded to shop our little hearts out. . . great crafts, cashmere sweaters, purses, etc.<BR><BR>OK, here's the part to pay attention to . . . we got hungry about noon, went to eat, and when we came out, the market was gone! I mean nothing was left but a few piles of produce rubbish in the gutters and newspapers flying along the streets in the wind.<BR><BR>We were not nearly done shopping and we were crushed . . . maybe the market stays longer now but don't take the chance . . . shop first, eat later!<BR><BR>Have a great trip,<BR>Sandy
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 08:53 AM

I also have been to Isle-sur-la-Sorgue but not Orange or Nimes. I liked Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. It has a shallow river running through the center of town, with a big water wheel. Flowers and greenery all around it which makes this town different from most of the others in the region. We stopped on a Sunday morning when the market was not so crowded. We parked on the street, about a five minute walkto the center of the town and the market. Later we went on to Gordes, a town about a half hour dvive away that we absolutely loved - especially the abbey in the middle of the most magnificant lavendar fields. It's the Abbaye de Senanque, it's on every calendar of Provence. We were there in July, peak lavendar season. On the way back (we were staying in Avignon) we stopped again in Isle-sur-la-sorge, and this time we got a parking ticket. At least I got a story about having to deal with French beauracracy while trying to pay the ticket. Despite that, that day with those two towns is one of my favorites.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Great information, thanks!<BR><BR>1. If we do decide to go to Orange and Nimes, how long should we 'budget' at each place? Do they each have atmospheric central areas with shops and cafes, besides their famous ROman ruins?<BR><BR>2. We can definitely not make to Isle la Sorgue on Sunday morning, which is OK with us because we are not interested in purchasing antiques at this time. Is it still worth a visit? Since it does not have any 'sights' how long should we budget to stay there?
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Mariarosa:<BR><BR>From Orange or Nimes I wouldn't drive all the way to Isle sur la Sorgue if you weren't going for market day. Why don't you consider Arles, Les Baux or St Remy? Arles has a great market on Wednesday and Saturday. We based there in October and loved it. We posted a trip report - Arles-Plane,Train,Auto - which you may still be able to find.<BR><BR>JoeG
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:57 AM

A very good restaurant near ISLS is Mas de Cure Bourse. The chef, Patricia Donzi (or is it Donzetti?), wears a signature sprig of parsley in her toque, and she visits every table. I said that I had read of her in Patricia Wells' book, and she replied, &quot;J'adore Patreeceea Wells!&quot;<BR><BR>We enjoyed the Sun. flea market. I bought a woven &quot;gypsy basket&quot; that I used to carry things home (back in the days when such was a legitimate carry-on) and still use it when going to farmers' mkts. here at home.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi Joe,<BR>I wouldn't try to see Orange and Nimes and Isle on the same day. My schedule is constricted by taking trains and buses. I will be based in Avignon. I currently do not have Isle-sur-la Sorgue in my itinerary and was wondering if I was missing out too much.<BR><BR>SUN - 1:00 PM arrival Avignon - afternoon in Avignon<BR><BR>MON - Arles<BR><BR>TUES - Les Baux<BR><BR>WEDS - AM in St. Remy (market); PM - Roman sights in Orange<BR><BR>THURS - Pont du Gard &amp; Uzes, possibly Nimes for Roman sights, if time permits<BR><BR>FRI - AM in Aix, late PM Villeneuve-les-Avignon (maybe dinner over there)<BR><BR>SAT AM - Last minute shopping in Avignon<BR><BR>SAT 1:00 PM - TGV to Geneva
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Grandmere, We stayed at Madame Donzi's mas but she wore a small artichoke from her chef's hat. to this day I refer to her as ms Artichoke. She is a wonderful hostess and my favorite dish is the stuffed Bloosom flowers.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Cigalechanta, I have often wondered what the accommodations are like at the Mas; we only had lunch there.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 09:42 AM

Mariarosa:<BR><BR>If you have to rely on public transportation, your itinerary sounds reasonable.You obviously have more flexibility and can cover more ground if you have your own car. Once you arrive and start travelling about, you will get a better sense of travel times. For example, At Les Baux you can probably see the sights, do some shopping and get a bite to eat in around 3 hours or so. St. Remy is only around 15 or 20 minutes away. You may want to do the St.Remy market in AM and go to Les Baux in the PM. There is so much to do and so little time. It is no wonder that people keep coming back to Provence. I think that we could go back 10 or 12 times and never do the same thing twice. We would have liked to have gone to Cassis, Chateau Neuf de Pape, Gordes, Roussillon, Pont du Garde, etc etc etc. We were so close and yet we never made it to Avignon or Aix. Just get a feel for your own pace and allow for some flexibility once you get there. After a day or two of Roman ruins you may want more or you may have had enough. No matter what you do, you will love it and you won't get enough.<BR>Bon Chance!<BR><BR>JoeG
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 09:31 AM

Mariarosa, I am doing virtually the same thing you are, also restricted to public transpo--trains and buses. Do you have any good web sites for public transp information for the area?
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 02:18 PM
RDN

Both Orange and Nimes have wonderful Roman ruins, though different. If interested in theatre, the Roman theatre and accompanying information is fascinating. Given that Orange is one of the first stops on the Roman road, it is a good place to start.<BR><BR>P.S. Actually, Nimes is part of the Bouches-Du-Rhone section of Provence.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Well, I am back from my trip and unfortunately did not make it to Orange or Isle Sur la Sorgue, but was impressed with Nimes. It has a very nice center with small streets, little squares and tons of modern shops (lots of nice clothing boutiques for ladies). Definitely more than just the Arenes and the beautiful Maison Carre. <BR><BR>LVSue, I will post information on public transportation on a short trip report called &quot;Just returned from skiing in Haute Savoie AND one week in Provence by public transportation.&quot;