Markets of Provence

Sep 5th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Markets of Provence

We are thinking of going to Provence in October. We have been there before and love the markets, especially in the larger,more interesting (not necessarily in the bigger town)ones. We would be interested to know which markets you think are really interesting and worth seeing and how late in the Fall they continue to have them. Thanks in advance for your time and insights.

Dale and Marilyn
Sep 5th, 2005, 02:29 PM

The one in Aix was really good for lots of "arts and crafts", but my favorite market in Provence is the one in St. Tropez -- even the smells will get to you. But I don't know how big it is in October.
Sep 5th, 2005, 04:58 PM

Cannes has a very large covered market with a vast array of produce, cheeses, meats, flowers...and lots more. It's open all year and is near the eastern part of the Croisette. A large underground parking lot is about half a block away.

This market appears to be a well kept secret, attracting mostly locals--we wouldn't have known about it if our French friends hadn't taken us there.
Sep 5th, 2005, 06:03 PM

Vaison la Romaine has a large market every Tuesday - I think all year round. As for all markets, it is best to get there early.
Sep 5th, 2005, 06:31 PM

The Sunday market in Isle Sur La Sorgue is by far one of the best! Arles is very good as well --Wed & Sat.
I also loved the markets in Nice but they're very crowded because of cruise ships.

If it's of help to you, here's a website that lists the various markets by city:

http://www.provencebeyond.com/a/calmktsday.html
Sep 5th, 2005, 09:50 PM

I really liked the local one in Villeneuve-Lez-Avignon on Thursday am. It was small and managable. We walked thru Arles Saturday market and it went on forever. Lovely but too big for me. There was quite a variety of merchandise.
Sep 6th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Our favorite is the one held in St. Remy. It is a huge market held every Wednesday. One caution when St. Remy has a celebration for its Saint's name day they bring in a carnival, children's rides, etc. that displaces the Wed. market. This, however, is a rare occurrence. A call to the town's tourism office can give you latest information. (I seem to recall that the last Wed. in September may be one of those days.)

Note many of the merchants go from one market to another; there is a market somewhere everyday of the week in the area.

Anthony
Sep 6th, 2005, 07:48 AM

st remy is the best, john
Sep 6th, 2005, 11:06 AM

Isle Sur Sorque on Sunday is a good one and so is the big one in Carpentras - on a Friday I think. In fact, I liked Carpentras better than the other place, not the town, the market.
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:48 PM

There's actually a book called something like "Markets of Provence;" try amazon.com for it.
Sep 6th, 2005, 02:03 PM

We liked the Arles market best. We went on a Saturday. It is quite extensive but we were interested only in the food section so didn't see the other parts. The produce and prepared foods were gorgeous and beautifully arrayed. We have been there in late May and mid-September so I'm not sure how late in the fall the market is open.
Sep 6th, 2005, 02:53 PM

All the markets I'm familiar with in various parts of France are open all year round, unless it's a very tiny town that holds a market in summer mainly for tourists.
Sep 6th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Not sure if Uzes is strictly Provence but in the main square they have a fabulous food market on Saturdays and flower market on Sundays.