Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What ONE market would you pick in Provence area?

Oct 7th, 2005, 06:14 AM
aggiemom

We are staying in Avignon four nights, starting Oct. 18 arriving 17:00 on Tues. We will have full days of Wed, Thur, Fri and most of Sat. We will be using train/bus/taxis.

DH is not much of a shopper (guess opposites do attract!) and I want to make the most of my limited opportunities.

What one market would yield the most variety? I love fabrics, (small) antiques, local crafts, food to bring back to US.

Merci,
mom

Oct 7th, 2005, 06:49 AM

We enjoyed the Arles market most of all. The reason we found it so inviting was the food - so colorful and beautifully displayed. The market also had lots of fabrics, crafts and other items but we were most interested in the food sections. It is a very large market.
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I may sound jaded, but I don't think the markets of Provence (or any other region of France, really) are all that distinct from each other. In fact, many of the same vendors make the rounds to various markets, so you get the same merchandise no matter which market you attend.

Every market in Provence will have food, fabrics, wine, and crafts. Antiques are not a typical offering - there are separate occasions for selling antiques out in the open. The exception might be the Isle-sur-la-Sorgue market, which always seems to have antiques because there are so many dealers in town.

So the answer to your question is really any market. They all have tremendous variety.
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:10 AM

I've probably been to every market in Provence - or at least it seems that way. The best, of course, is the Sunday market in l'Isle sur la Sorgue - but you won't be there that day. The two other "giant" markets are in Carpentras on Friday and Apt on Saturday. Both have plenty of fabric vendors. Carpentras is my favorite because it has more food items.

Stu Dudley
Oct 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM

I've only been to the market in St. Remy and I loved it. As StCirq stated, the markets will have the typical foods, crafts, fabrics, etc. I loved their display of soaps, olives (here's a photo with my cousin purchasing olives http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/files/Olives.jpg), flowers (http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com...RemyMarket.jpg), etc.

Monica
Oct 7th, 2005, 10:52 AM

I go along with St.Cirq that most markets will have the same things but in some smaller villages, you won't see the fabrics as much. Particually, the treated or oil cloth table tops. I love all the markets, big and small and love the Maussane Brocante one. And the entire indoor and outdoor flea markets, antiquities in L'isle. Dine at the Jardin de la Quai.
Oct 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM
aggiemom

Thank you all for your responses.

It's good to know that I can just pick a market when it's convenient and get a good flavor for the area.

merci,
mom

Oct 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM

You can find out which towns have markets on which days in the old Patricia Wells France book or the newer Markets in Provence. The latter describes some of the more well known markets and might prove helpful in your search.
Oct 7th, 2005, 01:31 PM

AggieMom: If you're anywhere near St. Remy, the Wednesday and Saturday markets are very pleasant to experience. The small town atmosphere, the variety of foods, clothing, and most usual items...we try to hit it when we're anywhere near. The Aix market is larger, but we prefer St. Remy.
Stu