Provence - L' Isle-sur-la-Sorgue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently looking on the Calendar for events/markets going on in the area during the days of August 13 (afternoon) to August 17 and I cam upon the below. Is this a market/festival? If so, has anyone been to it and is it worth seeing?

Every Aug - Foire à la Brocante * (every 15 Aug)

Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM

Brocante is second-hand stuff...something between junk and antiques. I was there a couple of years before and though it was huge, it was mostly pretty tired, overpriced stuff. I did find a nice antique Quimper pitcher to add to my collection for 40 euros, but other than that it was mainly interesting just for people watching (and, since there was a horrible mistral that day, watching entire stalls of junk goflying all around town).
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you StCirq. I'm assuming this is the same '4 day' antique market that I read about that is happening during the above dates.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:33 AM

Yes, it's the four day antique market held twice a year (Easter and August). As StCirq said, there's a lot of overpriced "stuff" but it's fun - I always go to both of these markets. All the shops are open as well. If you plan to go, I advise that you get there early so you can get a parking place.

Patricia
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Patricia!! We'll unfortunately miss the Sunday morning market .. so I think we will try to hit the market on Monday or Tuesday morning!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

I just read this:

L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (Vaucluse) is the home of Le Quai de la Gare, a group of 30 antique shops in one location, open on weekends and holidays. The town also has an antique market on Sundays.

It looks as if it will be open on Tuesday, August 15, which is a holiday. Is my best bet to visit this day?
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Ok, so yes once again I'm losing my mind in Provence.

Will I have time to visit both the Lavender Festival in Sault and the Foire a la Brocante in L'Isle sur la Sorgue on the holiday, Tuesday 8/15? I've read where you should get to these festivals/markets early and they are over by 1:00 ... so will we have time to visit both on one day or split them up. I believe the lavender festival in Sault is happening on the 14th as well. Thanks for the help!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:52 AM

The four day market in l'Isle is different from a regular market - it goes all day.

If you hit it early and get out early, I imagine that you could do both.

Patricia