Opinions on these 3 Paris apartments

Mar 24th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Opinions on these 3 Paris apartments

We're narrowing our list of 2BR/2BA apartments for our visit (2 couples in their mid- to late-50s) in May 2008 and would appreciate information from anyone who has stayed at any of these apartments (or nearby at least) or had experience with these rental agencies:

1. Rented out by Lodgis.com on Rue Mazzarine in the 6th - http://tinyurl.com/2evwxl
2. Rented out by ParisVacationApartments.com at 30 rue Montpensier in the 4th - http://tinyurl.com/27w82h
3. Rented out by vacationinparis.com at 2 rue Amiral de Coligny in the 1st - http://tinyurl.com/2397pm

Thanks in advance,

KC
Mar 24th, 2007, 09:46 PM

I'm coming from a perspective of someone who has rented many villas/apartments- although not familiar with these.
I'm in your age range and always want a tub in a large city for a long soak after a long day of walking. This may not be important to you.
Do you have the floorplans for these apartments- or did I miss them? I'd want to know the privacy factor of the bedrooms, if I were sharing an apartment with another couple for a period of time.
I've looked at some fabulous apartments in Paris, recently- check parisianflat.com
Mar 24th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Welch. I didn't see floor plans for any of these three, but there are a fair number of photos for each of them - bedrooms seem fairly well spread out. Plus we've vacationed with these friends fairly often, so we're used to each other's peculiarities and needs. Only one of the three apartments in this list (the last one) has a tub, but then one can always soak ones feet in a bidet.

I checked out the apartments on the site you listed, and they are all on the order of 30-50 percent more expensive than what we're looking for. They do look lovely though - very, VERY modern.

Thanks again,

KC
Mar 25th, 2007, 02:47 AM

I have had experience with vacationinparis.com I found them to be very easy to work with and very professional. Our apartment was in the marais and we absolutely loved it. I would go with apartment #3. The view from the apartment is worth it. I'm not sure about the neighborhood feel. It's right next to the Louvre and the cafe (Café–Tabac La Corona
2. Rue de l'Amiral Coligny – or – 30. Quai du Louvre, Paris 1)that is the site of the Metropoleparis.com meeting place. We stopped in to that a few years ago. Check out the website. Anyway, back on track, I would go with #3.
Mar 25th, 2007, 03:24 AM

I don't know if I'll add anything insightful, I just know it is nice to hear others' views --

I would probably go with #2. Here are my quick thoughts:
1) while spacious, feels a bit 'stuffy' to me. probably my least favorite of the three.

2) Love the location -- I love Palais Royal and to stay on that space would be worth it, imho. Also looks like a very nice apartment although I didn't quickly see pictures for bedroom #2. Looks to be relatively big and spacious in living space.

3)not sure about the wooden columns -- not sure how big the 'living' space is. Looks like a great outside view, but they've spent so much time promoting that, is that a major drawback inside ? I would prefer another inside shot of the living space rather than another exterior photo.

There is also the location -- do you have a preference ? Would you use the outside balcony much ? Is there space out there for everyone or will you feel anti-social if you sit out there alone ? If it rains and you can't use that are you bummed ? What does your travel partner think ? Or are you the planner ? Have you ever seen a gladiator moview ? Are you tired of my questions yet ?

good luck! I know (from JUST going through this ) that its stressful to balance out the options, but given that the good stuff goes quickly (we identified a few options and by the time I went back in 24 hours, some were already booked). I would trust my instinct and book which one you visualize yourself in!
Mar 25th, 2007, 04:34 AM

Nice choice, although I think that last one is awfully small for 2 bedroom and 2 baths -- total of 55 sq.meters -- less than half the size of the first one???

And even the second one at 85 sq. meters with a ton of wasted space in that "entrance" is considerably less spacious than the 120 Sq. meters of the first one.

The bright and light #2 looking out on the gardens is pretty cool, but I'd opt for the first one -- classically elegant and atmospheric -- very spacious in feel. Nice location too. And seemingly larger, nicer baths. (unless you're hung up on a tub).
Mar 25th, 2007, 06:08 AM

I, OTOH, liked the 3rd one. I did look at the prices and think... not in this lifetime
Mar 25th, 2007, 06:14 AM

I think the comfortable studio apartment I rent in the 5th is 48 sq. meters. Trying to visualize adding two bedrooms plus two baths in that amount of space (plus just 7 more sq. meters) is mind boggling. Sure sounds cramped to me!!
Apr 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Hello. Our family stayed in the 3 bedroom Paris Vacation Apt. upstairs from the one you're looking at. I would, however, prefer the third floor two bedroom Palais Royal PVA apt. if you can swing it. I made a point of looking at it, and it's absolutely beautiful.

There is a floorplan listed on the website. The kitchen (of the 3rd floor 2 bedroom) is located closer to the entry, and the salon is straight ahead. The first bedroom has a bath directly across a very small hallway, then the second bedroom has its own bath ensuite. Both bedrooms and the living room face the gardens. The location is phenomenal.

I didn't get a chance to look at the inside of the first floor apartment, but it's located under the arches and doesn't get as much light, if that matters to you. I think that there's enough privacy for 2 couples - though the couple with the bedroom facing the gardens would have a better view than the second bedroom, which faces the street/buildings behind and isn't much to look at.

These apartments are first class - absolutely beautiful. The owners are wonderful, VERY attentive and helpful. Would highly recommend them. I wrote a note on the PVA website 3 bedroom, if that helps.

Good luck!
Apr 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Some friends were staying in Apartment #2 (rue Montpensier) last year and I visited the apartment at that time. They were sharing it with another couple and everyone agreed that it was more than comfortable, and the bedrooms nicely separated. The location is very convenient, and the Palais Royale garden is just outside the windows.

As shown in the photos, the arched windows and the top of the Palais Royale arcade just outside the living room windows makes it feel just a bit closed in to me, and I recall feeling that when I visited; it may not be an issue to anyone else and definitely wasn't to the friends staying there; they plan to rent it again in the future.
Oct 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM

The Paris Vacation Apartments are grand and the location can not be beat. I've rented from them before and the experience has always been excellent. The two bedroom triplex is nice, but as noted the living room opens up right onto the colonade, which can be a convenience, but also disconcerting to have people walking just feet away from your sofa. Stairs are a bit narrow as well .... but it well worth the price.
Oct 28th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Try "France for Rent" and try to stay as close to the Seine as possible. Anything on Isle Saint Louis is perfect!