Open Discussion about Russia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My name is kind of Russian though I have no Russian blood. Ever since I saw Rocky fight that Russian guy everything Russian always seems to catch my attention, only to lose it again because I have a short attention span. Now it'll be in writing. I foresee visiting within the next three years. Sure I can read books and go online but an open discussion is also fun.

I see how things get here I'm a long time lurker. We could get all political and focus on ugly stuff and fight with each other. I don't care I come to Fodors for entertainment and travel knowledge. I appreciate everyone's style including the seething tones of some of the regulars. It's all good. but Russia is such a beautiful country with so much to offer and I want to learn about it.

What do you know about Russia? What do you love? What do you hope? What was it like? How is it different? The present and the past, all the history. Culture Art Sports Politics Religion Women Men Food. All of Russia's bittersweet beauty. Anything's a go!

Surprisingly I don't know much about Russia. Any takers?
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 10:44 PM

Russia isn't in Europe
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 12:02 AM

>> Russia isn't in Europe <<

This is the first question and very interesting one. When I was on an academic conference of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Sankt Petersburg, the Russion speakers always contrasted "Russia" with "Europe", so it was clear, they did not consider Russia a part of Europe.

On the other hand, you have strong European influences in Russia. Sankt Petersburg - IMO one the most beautiful cities in the world (together with Venice) - was built by the best European architects and decorated by famous European artists. But the resulat was not an entirely European city but a melange of European and Russian architecture, especially the churches.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 02:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Europe ends at the Urals, so part of Russia is in Europe. Political posturing means they could declare themselves to be on the moon, but geography is clear.

The issues are what they do to their neighbours if they are too small to stand up to the bullies, and of course the paranoia, oh and the killing of politicians, oh and the killing of lawyers, oh and the control of the media, oh and the racist persecutions, oh and the "extra mural" killings, oh and stealing of assets, oh and the lack of the rule of law, oh and the anti-gay/transgender community, oh and the subsuming of the religious community, oh and the poisoning of athletes so they can compete in sports, oh and the government employment of trolls to support their bad behaviour on line and oh the support of Assad to maintain a warm water harbour in Syria bringing devestation to 10 million people and helping destabalise the EU community.

Did I mention the paranoia?
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 02:03 AM

Did I mention the destruction of the Caspian sea due to reversal of rivers, or the mining for Uranium by pumping acid into the soil so destroying large areas of land.

Now tell me about the beauty of the country?
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 02:04 AM

>> Russia isn't in Europe <<

We teach our kids that 25% of Russia is IN Europe, inc Moscow (and a lot of Russians actually...).

I have always considered Russia as part of European history. lost of the WW2 fighting on Russian front was fought in Europe, Crimea saw involvment of British French and Russian troops in 19th century, Napoleon's campaigns in Russia are considered European campaings, there have always been cultural links between Europe and Russia.

Now when I was in the Army, they were called 'the Reds' and we didn't really consider them our friends. But it is a relatively short period in history.

http://education.francetv.fr/matiere...en-ses-50-pays
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 02:04 AM

How do you really feel, bilbo?
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 02:21 AM

sparkie, well you know, so-so ;-)
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 02:31 AM

I used to do international business around the world and dealing with the russians was always "fun", we never, ever, made a deal without strong banking conditions and the guys always tried to a "clever" reason to try and not pay us the last 10%. I think i saw every game under the sun, luckily we just played harder ball.

We built a massive pumping system for them which they then poured molten steel into and blamed us, it took, a major push to point out that molten steel did not help pumps work. (plus they now had a useless steel works)

We were asked to do a major repair to a power station pump and they admitted they had no tools, so we took out our own tools, I kid you not they did not even have a spanner for a whole power station. We left the spanners in a safe with the CEO over a fortnight and when we came back the stuff was gone and the CEO looked "amazed" (what me?).

I will not even go into the tax dodging various guys asked me to do (all rejected)

Of all countries, including the Iranian National Guard, Russia is always the hardest to do business with as they are both paranoid and have an inferiority complex.

so-so then...
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 03:06 AM

Bilbo
I've heard the same countless times and I've been given it as a reason for us not going into Russia.
We invest in South-America, Asia (not in China though) but avoid Russia...
I've been dealing with guys from Belarus - it was quite fun too. And the banksystem there was crazy. But at leat I avoided going.

Btw : they had no spanners, but I'm sure they had vodka at least..
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 05:20 AM

Some observation from Russia (and also Belarus):

- The normal ration is 50 grams of vodka for breakfast, 100 grams for lunch and 500 grams for dinner. This is just to accompany the meal. Drinking starts after this.

- The typical Russian menu: First course, salad and raw vegetables. Second course, cabbage soup (if the soup is red, it is called "borscht"). Third course, tough pork schnitzel with cold peas and soft pan-seared potatoes. Alternatively, well-aged herring.

- The Russian table is set with: One bottle of vodka, one bottle of sweet soda, one bottle of shampanskii (a product of a chemical factory, distantly resembling overly sweet sparkling wine), one bottle of extremely salty sparkling water.

- The highest-ranking member of the Russian delegation starts with a toast. The highest-ranking member of the guest delegation answers with a toast. Then the seconds come, then the thirds... until everybody has toasted. When everybody empties his glass, try to spill something in a dish or a vase. Every thirty minutes go to the toilet and empty your stomach.

- During the drinking, you often hear the word "drushba" (friendship). But never believe them. The next day, just after recovering from the hangover, your new-won friends will cheat you again.

- Every family needs to have at least one member working for the police or customs. Then the family is secured (financially). If you are stopped by the police for speeding, even if you have driven at a pedestrian's speed, pay without complaining. In cash. Smile and add a tip and you will have new friends.

- Don't worry if customs confiscates a can of caviar or an icon or a piece of antiquity when you are going to leave. Ten meters further, they will sell you again the pieces they had just taken (for a slightly higher price).
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Interesting comments! What is a spanner?
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

a wrench?!
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 02:19 PM

Really interesting! Especially from people who've done busines there.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 09:16 AM

purple, I had to look it up, looks like Americans use the word "wrench" when Brits use "spanner"
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 10:54 AM

Ah, I knew both words, but didn't know the distinction.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 12:54 PM

Good Day! I am so glad to find this resource as you can pick up all useful information for traveling at one place. Unfortunately there is no information about Russia. I have been living in Russia for 20 years and know Russian people very well. I was born in Germany and my father was German but my mother is Russian. There is no danger to travel to Russia especially to big cities St. Petersburg and Moscow. It is absolutely safe. Russian people are friendly, very emotional, active and simple in communication. I live in Saint-Petersburg, the city is magnificent especially in Summer during White Nights season. I worked as a tour guide for a long time and met many people from all over the world. It is great to touch a different culture and to share yours. Great experience. Now I run a small travel company Priora Tours. We receive people from all over the world, many people from New York. If you decide to travel to Russia the best way is to combine 2 cities Moscow and Saint-Petersburg, the distance between them is not long and there is a Speed Train going between cities ( duration 4 hours). If you are interested to learn information about Russia, St.Petersburg visit my resource www.prioratours.com
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 01:03 PM

We have been twice on "people to people" type exchanges and have had Russian visitors in our city and in our home. Wonderful people.
Our sister city is Voronezh, where the Russian airplanes are made. It was a closed city until recently so these people knew nothing of us except the propaganda machine of the time.
Russsia is truly "exotic" in the best sense of the word--you never know what you will see.
We Americans and our government policies are equally guilty of propaganda if you think about "history" as prescribed and taught--European history--not Asian or Russian. Therefore what we do not understand we tend to fear.
When visiting with our Russian friends we had to be careful not to admire something too much or they would take it off their wrist (a REAL Russian army watch) or off the wall (a beautiful picture of a birch forest).
The meals they served us were delicious and fresh--THE best tomatoes and cucumbers I have ever eaten because of the area of the Black Soil region of Voronezh--6 meters of black soil.
The siege of St. Petersburg was brutal. The architecture of Josef Stalin is equally brutal!!
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 04:59 AM

For those, like me, who just got confused Gretchen is talking about the "Siege of Leningrad" (the city used to be and now is named St Petersburg).

"The architecture of Stalin was brutal" is a bit like complaining about the yurt designs of Ghenghis Khan. and while the "writing" skills of Mao have never been denied I've never seen anyone complain about his needle point.