Russia - to Go or not to Go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking of going to Russia; any comments of where, when, etc. would be appreciated. We're thinking of April/May 2008.
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:48 AM

You didn't say if there are children or its you and a significant other. Nor did you mention your budget, Russia can be inexpensive but requires planning.
Neither did you mention length of vacation.
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:54 AM

You don;t mention where in Russia you're planning. Just be aware that St Pet is very far north- and in April it can still be very cold. (We were there once around Sept 10 - and it was in the 40s and locals already had winter coats on.)
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:55 AM

As to if you should go - of course - it's brilliant. Moscow and St Pet are NOT to be missed.

Just be aware that the tourist infrastructure is not as developed as in western or central europe yet - so things can be a tiny bit more challenging.
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Try Siberia, Lake Baikal area.

Oh wait, that's not Europe.

Shoot for May, if possible.
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help; we think we'll mainly go to St Petersburg & Moscow. A couple of more questions...we're thinking of going on the overnight train from St P to M (we're both 61 - no kids with us). Has anyone done this, any tips? Not sure is we should do an organised tour or our usual indpendent travel? Maybe a tour with a couple of 'independent' days either side? Any tips re safety too? Thanks in advance fellow fodorites!
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:02 PM

I tried to go to Moscow a year ago. I could get the plane ticket, but not a reasonable hotel - and it wasn't worth $400/nite to me. I tried a TA and I tried on my own - I don't know what the problem was but I finally postponed til a more auspicious time!
St. Pete seemed more doable. (by the way, I already had a visa). I'd try a Delta vacation pkg or a tour next time.
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:41 PM

I've been on the St P to M train, but that was many moons ago.

I found that the easiest way to do this was by way of Finland. Helsinki was a great bonus!

On that train ride, nothing spectacular happened, if I recall, but it was in the old days and I had only one other person in the same train compartment with me. She was sooo curious about me that I became suspicious. Also she kept looking at my luggage, so I left the compartment and went to the dining car so she could go through my luggage at her leisure. My luggage was unlocked on purpose. When I came back, she was gone and I spent the rest of the trip in peace.

Like I've said, that was many years ago during the old regime. Things were so different then. We always had someone who wanted to "practice English (yeah, right!)" and wanted to tag along with us wherever we went. Everything was so controlled, but we were innocents abroad and had nothing to hide, so the whole trip turned out to be wonderful and exciting.

Things are quite changed today.

Don't miss the Winter Palace. It's mind-boggling! There's just so much to see - I envy you!
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:07 AM

We have just taken the trans siberian from China to Moscow, then the train to St Petersburg.

The train between the two Russian Cities is geared for tourists and is perfectly comfortable. As most of travel at night you do not see much of Russia but for an experience it is fine. As it is non-stop you have no trouble with the locked toilets.

St Petersburg is wonderful, we were there end April/May and had sunny spells but some very cold weather too. Take warm clothes and enjoy the city. Felt safe (we are fiftyish)to walk around.

Moscow is only worth a short visit we felt. Not prepared or welcoming for tourists the way St P is. The people were very rude (not just to us but to locals too). Worth travelling on the metro, stations are great, learn a little of their alphabet to help. Kremlin and area is worth it but if you are deciding where to balance the holiday I would spend longer at St P.

Have a lovely trip, and try the local food.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:46 AM

Go to Russia. It's a great place. Once you have gone, you will want to go back.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:07 AM

I think May/June is the best time to go to Moscow or St Petersburg. April can still be cold in both cities. The overnight train is definitely an experience and there are many different types of trains to choose from. Most buy out a complete compartment so as not to share with strangers.

For a first time visit, it may be advisable to have an organised tour, particularly from the cost perspective, although it is perfectly possible to travel independently.