Reload this Page >

Does ANYONE go to Russia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Norma

We are interested in going to Russia. Does ANYONE here go there. Would like to hear from you if you've been there.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Alan

No, I haven't been to Russia (maybe more appropriate for the Europe board?), but I have a friend who recently toured widely in several Baltic and Eastern European countries --Finland, Ukraine, Moldova, and points east -- of which Russia was one. He said he was generally impressed with how these countries were handling the changes since the demise of the Soviet Union; however, when I asked him about Russia, he said that it was "scary". He found it a very unsettling place to visit. (Like you, however, I would still like to go there!)

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Marilyn

I think you'll find more info on Russia on the Europe board. Run a search -- there have been quite a few posts.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:35 PM
John G

Actually, I was in the USSR in 1989 with my parents. I was 20 at the time and we went on a tour because you couldn't just wander around the former Soviet Union by yourself.<BR><BR>I enjoyed the trip very much, although we went in October and it was cold, staying at the Pribaltskya Hotel in St. Petersburgh with that horrible icy wind blowing off of the Gulf of Finland.<BR><BR>The greatest site in Russia, for me, was seeing the Hermitage Museum and all its art treasures. It probably among the top 3 art museums in the world.

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to Russia last November on General Tours price buster plus and had a fantastic time. This tour went to Moscow and St Petersburg and there were advantages to going in the winter-cheaper prices, no crowds. I would definitely go back but this time in the summer
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 05:15 AM

We went independently in 2000, visited Moscow and St. Petersburg, and absolutely LOVED it. Fodor's does classify Russia under Europe, though, and there are currently a couple of posts about Russian visits.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 05:48 AM

My brother went to Russia independently for several weeks last summer - I'll see if I can get him to look at and respond to some posts. I do remember him saying that the food was terrible, and that cheapish accomodations will include critters. (This coming from a very laid-back guy.) He also commented that there is ice cream everywhere, and people eat it constantly. Just recalling what I can from his e-mails....
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:48 PM

Yep, did the Volga River cruise between Moscow and St. Petes about 6 yrs ago. Fantastic trip and very intersting. We used Uniworld and the ship was nice, the food excellent, and although the cabin was small we survived. Small cabins seem to be the rule on the river cruises I&quot;ve been on ..so far! <BR><BR>The small towns you visit are interesting, and at least then the local shopping was always amazing....but I bet things are a bit more expensive now!! <BR><BR>At that time, I liked the consistency of having the boat as the hotel room.....but Im sure standards continue to improve in Russia...and I bet now..hotels are gittin bigger, better and more dependable. Someone else will have to vouch for that. <BR><BR>If you have a passion for Russia...go!!!! Happy travels!