how is moscow and st. pete?

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:22 PM
ce
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how is moscow and st. pete?

Could some people please relate any previous experiences in Russia and whether they find the people there very friendly to
Americans or not?
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:45 PM

Have been to Russia twice and both experiences were incredible - definitely more than worth the time and effort.

That said, traveling in Russia is a little more challenging than in western/central europe. The infrastructure is not very well developed and service is extremely limited.

This has nothing to do with anti-americanism - it is primarily a function of a lack of any service tradition in the tourist sector - since until very recently most tourists were a captive audience.

Attitudes towards Americans variy a lot - but you are unlikely to meet with open hostility. Depending on the political views, attitudes, education and age of the people involved you may encounter anything from friendliness to reasonable civility to disinterest to some level of rudeness (as I said - not a service oriented economy). I have found the most common attitude to be civilty mixed with a certain level of suspicion (most Russians still don;t understand the US and our "motives" - IMHO - and this tends to be related to the age of the person.)

But I would not make a decision to visit based on these factors - unless your primary goal in travel is to make new friends - vs experiencing/learning about another nation/culture/society.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 04:08 PM

Have had the privilege and opportunity to travel to Russia: Sait Peterburg and Moscow many times. I continue to travel there regularly.
I think most people will be surprised to compare perception to reality in Russia. Albeit, conditions there are amore than a tad bit different than what they are in the US or some other European countries, nonetheless Russia is a growing and developing country. In many ways, Russians are as curious about us, our culture and our life style as we are about theirs.
I am confident that you will find a very dynamic, growing and progressive atmosphere in Russia. Honestly, I have never talked to anyone who has been to Russia that did not enjoy the experience. I am sure there are some who will differ. I am reminded of a line from the Sean Connery movie of many years ago. The movie was called "The Russian House". someone in the movie asked: "Why to you come Russia?" He said,: " Because it draws me there". I think for anyone who has been there in recent years can appreciate that line. In my few, it holds true today as it did for Mr. Connery in the aforementioned movie.
You will find the people friendly. I have never experienced any anti-American resentment or attitude. Have been treated with nothing but kindness and respect.
Yes, there is a difference to visit Moscow or SP, as compared for example to Munich, Berlin, Zurich or other countries. You will be pleasantly surprised I am confident to say. I would not over think this concern. Also, there are plenty of folks on this forum who can give you some great counsel and advice for what to do in Russia, and what to expect. So, if you have any further concerns, do not hesitate to chime in and ask for help.
You are going to have a great experience if you travel to Russia. You just don't know it yet.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 04:20 PM
ce
Original Poster

What are the major differences between the two cities of Moscow and Pete? Also , if you have had the opportunity to travel to the southern cities or countries, Archangelsk, Dagestan, etc or into siberia , please describe what you saw there and how it is maybe even much different then moscow or PEte.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 04:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My husband says he thought the people in st. pete. were friendlier than in Moscow.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:12 PM

We visited St. Pete and Moscow last year independently. We loved St. Pete. It's a beautiful city with so much to see. We used the metro a lot thanks to my husband picking up the language enough to get us around. I agree, we found the people a little nicer in St. Pete. I'd recommend a trip if your ok with less infrastructure as 'nytraveler' states and few people speaking English.