Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One night layover in Munich - Where to stay what to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 04:49 AM
BDM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

MY wife and I and our 8 yr. old daughter will have a one night stopover in mUnich onour way back from Barcelona the first week of June. (It seemed a small price to pay for a $300 R/T airfare from Charlotte).

Anyway, I'd hate to waste the afternoon and evening staying near the airport for convenience.

We'd like to grab our overnight bag, leave the big suitcase at the airport and find a nice little hotel in the heart of Munich. I suspect we'll simply stroll the streets, people watch, have a beer or two etc. and then have a nice dinner, have a schnapse go to bed and fly out in the morning.

Anyone know of a decent, small hotel in the 100Euro range in a quaint section. We're real flexible and just need a clean "S/S/S" hotel. We'd rather spend our money on a good schnitzel dinner and a great bottle of Reisling

Any ideas would be appreciated or you could send info to [email protected]

Danke,

Brian
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:09 AM
rex

I hope you will return here to read this reply.

Hotels in Munich can be pretty pricey (and sky high at the airport, so already you're making a gooddecision to get away from there); anyhow, one cheaper alternative is to head to Landshut - - n further fro the Munich airport than the city itself. The cathedral there (the tallest all-brick structure in the world) is pretty mazing, architecturally - - and the town (AltStadt) is postcard pretty and a pleasant stroll, less than an hour stroll, end to end.

Still, if you are set on Munich, then Hotel Kurpfalz might meet your criteria. No "ritz" but decent location and value, I think.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:10 AM
rex

P.S. Unbelievably good airfare for June. Smart thinking!
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:14 AM

BDM,

The Hotel Uhland will no doubt meet your in-Munich needs. It's priced in the euro 100-range, is family-run friendly, and offers round-the-clock front-desk service. What's more, the Uhland is spic and span clean, features delightful breakfasts, and is nicely situated, a short stroll from the Oktoberfest grounds and a brief subway trip from Marienplatz.

It's regrettable, however, that you'll have but a day for Munich, as its warrants a much lengthier visit.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:47 AM
BDM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input!

Rex, is AltStadt a cab ride from the airport? is there a train? WOuld rather not need a car for one night. We love the small town scene anyway so maybe that's a good bet.

Great deal on the airfare huh! My daughter gets out of school May 22nd (crazy school calendar here in the south) but we've gone away the past three years on great rates before the height of the season. Also, Lufthansa started direct service from Charlotte to Munich and offered a great promo price.

Thanks again guys and I'll check out your suggestions.

Brian
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 06:19 AM

Hi, We stayed at the
Hotel Tulip Inn Concorde munchen
Hermstrasse 38-4080539 Munchen
Tele 49-89-224515
Email [email protected]
www.concorde-muenchen.de

for a couple nights last summer. The location is very good. It is a couple blocks from the Marienplatz. It is also about 1-2 blocks away from a train that takes you directly to the airport. That is a very easy and quick way to get to the airport. I could recommend a good restaurants for german food and good beer called the Nurnberger Bratwurst Glockl am Dom. Order the Nurnberger Schweinwurst which are yummy little sausages my kids really liked.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 06:22 AM
ira

Hi BDM,

We liked the Uhland, too.

Try going to one of the beer halls for a family night out.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Go to the Augustiner Keller Beer Garden near the main train. I consider it the best beer in Munich.

From the airport to downtown Munich, you can buy a "family" pass ticket. That will be good for the S-bahn (airport to downtown) and also the U-bahn's (in/around Munich) for the whole day. It's a great deal. You can buy it right there at the airport -- there's a ticket office right before you go down the stairs to catch the train -- they speak wonderful English.

I can recommend the Spatenhaus for dinner (walking distance to Marienplatz) -- good, authentic German menu. Now I'm making myself hungary & thursty.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 07:27 AM
rex

Oh my, I have to laugh. Yes, AltStadt is pretty much just a cab ride away, just like Ausfahrt.

I'm sorry for the presumptive use of German. Landshut IS the town. AltStadt means the "old town", the heart or center of original Landshut.

It would be a 20 mile cab ride - - not cheap - - about the same as a cab ride into the center (the "AltStadt"!) of Munich. The Lindner hotel (moderately expensive, business-like, good location, but less charming and less affordable than other choices in the Old Town) has a shuttle, I think, and would come pick you up at the airport, if I am not mistaken (for a fee?)

I doubt that the smaller places can offer than this.

See http://www.landshut.de/start.html and click on Tourismus, and then "Ubernachten" (Overnights) for a comprehensive list of accommodations.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 10:21 AM
BDM
Original Poster

Thanks Rex, found this out once I started looking. Already have an inquiry out to the Linder. Thanks again.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM

We liked the Hotel Platzl, just off the Marienplatz in downtown Munich. For dinner, head for the Peterhof restaurant, just opposite the enormous town hall: great sausages, homemade mustard and sauerkraut, a big pile of different breads--and of course beer.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 02:08 PM
hsv

Should you opt to stay in Munich, I second Budman's advice on the Augustiner Keller beer garden near the Central Station. It is frequented by a lot of locals and does have some good beer and rustic food.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 03:50 PM

I'm staying in Munich, and if you go to expedia, for $72, there is A four star Holiday inn that is pretty nice
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A couple of things to do with your 8 year old: I think the Glockenspiel in Marienplatz is great, especially if you're there when the little figures come out and dance (it used to be at 11 and 9 p.m. and 5 p.m. as well in summer). The Englicsher Gardens is a wonderful park, especially when the weather's good, and you can rent a little boat and go about the lake, and there's plenty of grass to go running around.

The food market off Marienplatz is even fun for children (Viktualienmarkt), but makes a nice wander.

Many of the beer gardens also have playgrounds for children (how civilized!). I remember a good one was, I think Lowenbrau, but I'm sure others will be able to come up with more.