Search

Best overnight stop between Neuschwanstein and Munich

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best overnight stop between Neuschwanstein and Munich

Hello:

We will be wrapping up a trip this summer by visiting Ludwig's castle in Neuschwanstein on the afternoon of our last full day in Europe. We will fly out of Munich the next day at 11:30. Can anyone suggest a good place to spend the night between Neuschwanstein and the Munich Airport? We don't mind driving an hour or even a bit more on our last morning to reach the airport, and we have an aversion to airport hotels. I know that Neuschwanstein is about two hours from the airport, so it might be good to be a bit closer. None of the towns en route are known to us, so if any of you know a place that would be a nice evening stopover (or a hotel that fits the bill), do let us know. Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could easily stay over in Garmisch or Oberammergau and easily drive to the airport the next morning (just did that very thing this past August). Are you willing to stay IN Munich that last afternoon/evening?
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 10:47 AM

I would either stay in Munich or would overstepped Munich and stay in Landshut (NE Munich). I loved that town and it would make a wonderful setting for closing the trip; only 30-35 minutes to the airport.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Vlajero and Dukey: Thanks for the suggestions; I will check those out. We will be starting out our trip with several days in Munich, and we'd prefer not to go back into the city the evening before our flight out. Let me know if there is any particular hotels you would recommend.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 11:54 AM

You can stay in Freising, a pittoresque town very close to the airport with a nice historic old town, brewery, cathedral.
If you want, you can drop off the car the night before and take the bus (every 20mins) to Freising. If you should decide to do so, check your airline if they offer evening check-in for your flight next morning. So you would also be free of your big luggage.

The Tourist Information has an English-language broschure online:
http://www.freising.de/fileadmin/use...leben_2011.pdf
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 12:09 PM

Unless it's on a Saturday or Sunday, there's a certain risk involved that you'll be stuck in traffic from Garmisch to the airport in the morning. In one hour, should everything work well, you'll only be in the southern districts of Munich, still far away from the airport. Not such a good idea because the worst of the traffic will only just have started there..
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM

I stayed near Herrsching, a beautiful lakeside town on the Ammersee, well positioned between Neuschwanstein and Munich.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 05:53 AM

We stayed at the Irsee Klosterbrau (former monastary, Hotel, restaurant, brewery, etc.) back in October the night before going to the Munich airport:

http://www.irsee.com

We loved it. Very comfortable rooms. Must have the best showers in all of Germany. Excellent food both for dinner and breakfast and terrific beer brewed on site as well.

It took us about 1.5 hours to get to the airport in the morning. Our flight was late afternoon so it worked out perfectly. We were able to sleep late, have a nice breakfast, and head to the airport around noontime.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 08:03 AM

I think Freising would be an excellent choice.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 08:41 AM

Freising is where we stay. We overnight at the Marriott (I'm a Marriott employee) and it's the only placed I've used so I can't recommend any other place to stay in Freising. It's a short drive to the airport from there. You can walk (5mins) into the town center from the hotel to enjoy a last breakfast in Germany.