NW Ireland - Favorites?

Jul 27th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Linda

NW Ireland - Favorites?

Going to Ireland in Sept (first time) and want to see a little of Northern Ireland and NW Ireland. Can I get any of your favorite sights, B&Bs, etc? Don't see many postings about these areas, mostly touristy Southern area (which we also HOPE to see).

Jul 29th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Ann

Actually, there are quite a few postings on Northern Ireland, with some good advice. Maybe try searching for "Belfast", "Derry" or "Donegal". You might come up with more postings.

Jul 29th, 2002, 11:05 AM
bill

Donegal is perhaps my favorite part of Ireland and I still have much of it left to see. The southern coast of Donegal is great, don't miss the scenic routes to Kilcar and Carrick. Glenviegh Nat'l Park is beautiful and well, the whole coastline. One of my favorite spots was Fanad Head. This is a tiny list. There is so much to see.

We stayed at the Credo House just east of Killybegs. It had a great view of the Killeybegs harbor and was a beautiful place. Great service also.
We later stopped by the Ocean View which is west of Killebegs. The view is fabulous, but since we didn't stay there, I can't speak to the service. It looks wonderful though. You can find both of these on the Town & Country site under Killeybegs.

In Dunfanaghy we stayed at the Corncrakes Rest which was a very comfortable country home. It looked out on the bay and the owners were wonderful. Here is their web page:
http://www.infowing.ie/fishing/Ac/Cr1.htm
The email address is broken. You will have to call them.

We also stayed on Inishowen at a place called the Seawater View. We just stopped and knocked on her door and got a room. This was another great place with a view out to Lough Foyle. She doesn't have a web site yet, but her phone is
353 077 82514

Hope this helps

Bill

Jul 29th, 2002, 01:37 PM
jean

Ocean view may be the most beautiful B&B in all Ireland. The view is spectacular, the hostess, Lena Cunningham gracious and helpful, and the appointments of the home more like a four star guest house. An added bonus to the Ocean View is its next door neighbor, Kitty Kelly's restaurant!

Jul 29th, 2002, 02:11 PM
kodi

I agree!!!
Ocean View B&B west of Killybegs is wonderful. I stayed there and had a wonderful view. Lena is very helpful. and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Also I ate dinner at Kitty Kelly's restaurant and it was great.
The next day, I drove the coastal road to Sleive League. Well worth the drive. The highest cliffs in Europe!!
I also really enjoyed Dunfanaghy and stayed at Carrigan House....very nice B&B. I drove up and around HOrn Head... spectacular again!!
In NOrthern Ireland I really enjoyed the Antrim Coast. Be sure to stop at Dunluce Castle and the Giant's Causeway.
Outside Belfast there is an open air museum that is excellent. Well worth a visit. Many reassembled buildings from the past and wonderful guides... very knowledgable and so friendly.

Enjoy..

Jul 30th, 2002, 10:40 AM
bill

jean & kodi

Thanks for the advice on Ocean View. I will probably stay there next year when my sisters travel with us.

Bill

Jul 30th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Ann

Linda-hope you've had some more success in finding other postings. In case you haven't, here's a quick rundown of my favs in N Ireland.

Mountains of Mourne (great hiking there, too), including the Silent Valley, and Tullymore Beach, just outside Newcastle. If money's not an issue, stay at the Slieve Donard Hotel. It sits right on the beach at Newcastle, and has unparalled views (make sure you ask for a sea/mountain view). If you want something more rustic and remote, there's the little Slieve Croob Inn. It's in the Clanvarghan/Leitrim (not the county) area. The closest town is probably Castlewellan. It's tucked away up in the mountains, and they have rooms at the hotel, or cottages within walking distance. Very nice place, tranquil and private. And great craic if there's a wedding going on while you're there.

Downpatrick in County Down is where St. Patrick is buried. There is controversay over whether this is the true burial spot, but in case they're right... There's also a nice visitor's center in Downpatrick that was recently built.

Killyleagh is a small village, also in County Down, that sits on the Strangford Lough. There's a lovely castle in the town (one of the few left in Ireland still privately owned). And they rent out a few of the rooms in the castle. But I've heard it's a bit cold and damp in there. Across the street is the Dufferin Arms pub, and next door is a nice B&B. The Dufferin's a good pub (just make sure they don't overcharge you for that American accent). There's also a restaurant downstairs. Portaferry is a town on the otherside of Strangford Lough. Can't remember exactly where you get the ferry from, but it's a nice ride, and not very long. Portferry's a very cute little town, and I keep meaning to spend some time there. And you get to keep saying "I'm on the Portaferry Ferry."

Food: The Pheasant near Hillsborough; the Tidy Doffer near Lisburn; in Belfast: Deane's, Nick's Warehouse, Cutter's Wharf (this one's more casual, pub dining). Pubs in Belfast: The Crown, the Rotterdam, Morrison's, Robinson's, Lavery's Gin Palace for the brave, young and drunk, the Empire and Limelight for live music (not traditional).

Okay, have to get back to work now. Hope that gives you some ideas. Oh, and don't miss the Antrim Coast road drive as others have said (particularly not the Bushmill's tour).

Jul 30th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Danna

Linda... we loved the Glenariff Forest Park's waterfall walk, stayed at the Meadows B&B in Cushendall... we saw the Giant's Causeway, it was ok, but ... We stayed right on the diamond in Donegal, had a grand time, but I think it was because there were folks who coached in from the north for a party!...

Jul 30th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Linda

Thanks for some really great info. I will use most everything and post report on return. This board has been a lifesaver!
Linda

Aug 12th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Ang

This might help you with accommodations in Northern Ireland.

Aug 12th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Ang

http://www.nischa.com/index.htm

Oops! forgot to give you the url.

Aug 12th, 2002, 09:34 PM
Jeff

If you want to splurge go to the Rosapenna Hotel near Downings. A wonderful, relaxing place. Not inexpensive but well worth the $.