Search

Donegal accommodations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donegal accommodations

Hi,
Going to Ireland next tues and will be touring in Sligo/Donegal for at least five days. Does anyone know of good places to stay, possibly serves food or near to? Near any hearlands or scenic area. Am a weaver and will be looking at tweeds etc. but would like a great place to stay. thanks for any help.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 03:33 PM

There's a B&B called Ocean View near Killybegs that's in one of the most stunning locations I've ever seen. That would also put you close to Ardara which is a good place to visit to look at tweeds. Kitty Kelly's restaurant is nearby and quite good.

I've also stayed at Island View B&B near Donegal Town. Very nice, but without the knockout view.

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 04:12 PM

If Ocean View is full, try Credo House, also in Killybegs. Sits on a hill looking over the harbor. Wonderful hosts!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 04:15 PM

If you stay anywhere in or around Killybegs, I can very highly recommend a restaurant right in the town centre called The Vineyard. It used to be called The Fleet Inn--which is still the sign on the building. Anyone you ask will know the place. The restaurant is upstairs and it was an absolutely wonderful meal--first time I ever had a fish called Brill. I was just there in March. If you do go, the owners name is Karen Laven Boyle and she'll undoubtedly be there. Say hi from Holly. You will not be disappointed I can assure you. If you are interested in a hotel for lodging we stayed at the Bay View which was very nice--middle of town overlooking the harbor--and the restaurant is just around the corner.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:09 PM

We returned two weeks ago from 12 days in Ireland. My most favorite B&B from the whole trip was just north of Sligo in the village of Drumcliffe. Mountain View...all rooms are lovely En Suite with T.V. & hair dryer... Martina Murphy was so helpful in giving us our choice of rooms which would be best suited for my husband to do his ham radio operation from. She had the most wonderful breakfasts. The beautiful sun room next to the living room is always open for you to sit and enjoy and make a cup of tea while watching the clouds come over Benbulben Moutain. We saw two of the most beautiful full rainbows ever while there. The day we were leaving, one of their cows had a calf and we were invited to see it when it was only 30 minutes old. They were so kind to us I hated to leave!!!!! We enjoyed it so much we stayed an extra day and relaxed. It is near Yeats's Grave, Lissadel House, Glencar Waterfall, golfing, Pubs etc. Tel/Fax:071-9163290 Great place to stay!!!! It is close enough to do a day trip to Northern Ireland, Enniskillen and go up the west coast of Lough Erne to the village of Belleek. (Don't miss the Belleek Pottery Tour and visitor center)
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:19 AM

weaver... I found the email address for Mountain View if you are interested.
[email protected]
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much for the tips, I'll print them out and use them for sure.
Thank you all! Kahtleen
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:56 AM

We stayed at the Arches on Lake Eske. (Donegal)
http://homepage.eircom.net/~archescountryhse/

It was lovely, good breakfast and nice people! Once off the road it does take
several minutes to get to the B&B. That was really not a problem. The lake is beautiful!
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:19 AM

Hi
Kilcar is a must for weavers, I stayed in a beautiful B&B Ocean View, just outside Killybegs, on the road to Kilcar.The view is to die for, the staff are wonderful, nothing is too much.This is a five star B&B one of the best I stayed in, in Ireland.They have a web site, oceanviewhouse.info(I think)Wonderful resturant next door called Kitty Kellys, if you go say hi to the wonderful host, Noel.And if you stay in Ocean View say hi to the beautiful Majella!