Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Favorite places to stay in Donegal or Sligo?

Feb 20th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Our family is going to be in these two cities in mid August. Any favorite places to stay or eat that folks would like to recommend? We don't need fancy digs, just a comfortable place with nice hosts.
Feb 21st, 2004, 07:10 AM

Last spring we stayed at Carbury House in Sligo, on the main road (N15) just north of the town; owned by Martha Davey. It's purpose-built with large comfortable rooms.
In Donegal, we stayed just outside in Killybegs at Credo House, a B&B overlooking the harbor. Frank and Ann McLean are the owners and were very entertaining. No tv in our room but they have a very lovely lounge and served us tea and scones upon arrival.
We haven't stayed here, but I have heard nice things about Ocean View, also in Killybegs.
Have a great trip!
Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:14 AM

I had several on this site to recommend the Arches(outside of Donegal)--web page below

http://homepage.eircom.net/~archescountryhse/

We are going in April, I will let you know.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:52 PM

Hello...We have also stayed at Carbury House on the Donegal road into Sligo. Martha is a very gracious hostess, ask for the front bedroom on the right as you go upstairs. We were there last May for the second time, but I think her website has changed, and I don't have the new one.
Also stayed at The Arches in (above Lough Eske)May, and it was one of our favorite BandBs in our 21 days in Ireland. Noreen McGinty is a funny, and entertaining hostess. Ask for the front bedroom , second on left down the hall. The room has a double and a single, and overstuffed chairs overlooking the lake, It is not on Lough Eske, but view is great...Hope this helps....Helen
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. It's always nice to have another point of reference when looking at unfamiliar areas.