Norway in a Nutshell

Search

Norway in a Nutshell

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway in a Nutshell

I am travelling on the Norway in a Nutshell tour next week and read in Deloris's message (06/18/2003) that "if there is ANY way you can afford 1st class, go for it - Seats unlike any you will see in 1st class in a plane. Major recliners and swivel to see the view. If you don't smoke be careful to pick a no smoking section on any class!"

Can Deloris or anyone else please tell me, is that 1st class on the main inter-city line from Bergen to Flam, or is 1st class available for the whole trip?

Thank you.

Phil

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:03 AM

I can't imagine that there's a first class for the Flam railway:

http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng/

I doubt there's first class for the fjord cruise as well.

I did the trip in May.

Does the booking website offer a first-class option? I don't recall, and I don't seem to see this option here:

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/visartikkel.asp?art=96

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:04 AM

And then there's the bus to the Stalheim hotel -- can't imagine that there's a first class there either.

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 10:36 AM

We did the trip in June 2005 and there were no first class cars at that time. I'm sure that there was not because we tried to book it having heard that it was great. Perhaps they have discontinued that service. Check the website for your dates. Perhaps you will find it then. I'm sure it is only from Oslo to Myrdal and perhaps Voss to Bergen.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 12:53 PM

I can't figure out what could be first class either, on any of the segments, all that recliner seating stuff. Guess Deloris will need to respond. We enjoyed the N in a N several years ago, including the fjord cruise part.
Also Bergen.
ozarksbill
[email protected]
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 02:20 PM

111op. I have heard it is cheaper to buy a 4 day rail pass & book the flaam rail, cruise, & bus part separately , is it possible to do this ?
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:58 AM

Sorry jean, I don't know. I was only in Norway for two days (I think).

Someone here may know.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 11:13 PM

Regarding 1st class - there is someting called comfort class with an addition of 75 N.kr. (having a power outlet and so on), but normal seats are fine. There is no such class on the Flåm railway, boat and busses.

A 3-day railcard will not be worth it, you will probably end up paying more. But there is something called "Minipris" with a cost of 199 N.kr. or 299 N.kr., but this can only be booked online. This can save you money on the journey from Oslo to Myrdal and Bergen back to Oslo. Pay the rest as you go. There are only limited numbers of "minipris" tickets out there. Another solution would be doing the ordinary Norway in a Nutshell one-way and do a "minipris" all the way back to Oslo. http://www.nsb.no/internet/en/

There will be maintenance work on the Bergen Railway Saturday 24. September and Sunday 25. september. Instead of the Flåm railway there will be bus service Hønefoss to Flåm, and you will miss out on the Flåm railway. I would try avoiding travelling this weekend.
http://www.nsb.no/internet/en/News/t...mp;language=en