Edinburgh - walk?

Search

Edinburgh - walk?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh - walk?

Planning tiny little things now about my upcoming Scotland trip and would appreciate some guidance: we will be getting in to Edinburgh early on a Friday morning. Even if we can't check in, we will leave our luggage at the hotel and go out walking. I find that walking around and a lot of coffee helps after those overnight flights.

First stop will be to a cafe to eat (!) and breathe. Have picked out Queen St Cafe from Sotland the Best. Then, if weather is ok, we'll go over to the Royal Mile; if not, we can go to the Portrait Gallery and the National Gallery before we go back to hotel for a short nap.

Question about the walk, though: we will be at the Edinburgh Residence in the West end (7 Rothesay Terrace). The maps on AA show how to drive over to Queen St, but I wonder if there are sidewalks; I can't tell from the map if the West end streets are highways (uncrossable) or just city streets! Crossing over Queensferry Rd, for instance, looks like it might be formidable.

I don't usually plan is SUCH small detail, but I know we will be a little fuzzy and I like to have a definite plan for the first few hours. After that - well, it all sorts itself out.

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Hi,
Yes, those streets all have pavements (sidewalks). Should be a nice walk for you through the New Town.
By the way, there aren't any highways through Edinburgh city as such - most of the city streets are perfectly walkable
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Edinburgh in general is a great city for walking, but with one small caveat - it is very hilly, a feature that doesn't show on maps, so keep that in mind when planning your walking tours. But the upside is that once you make your way up the hill, you are rewarded with fabulous views.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Ani

Yes, Edinburgh is a wonderful city for walking-and its a great idea for post-flight. Before we visited it was suggested that, upon arrival in Edinburgh, we walk to the train station and catch an open top bus (hop on-hop off) and though I was sceptical about sitting back down after such a long flight it was a WONDERFUL way to recover from our travels. Have a great time!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help!

And the bus - that's a good idea, too, for when the fatigue hits...
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:29 AM

From the Edinburgh Residence to the Queen Street cafe is about a 15 minute walk.

How early are you getting in ? You probably realise this, but just in case you don't - the Queen Street cafe is the cafe of the National Portrait Gallery which doesn't open until 10. You won't get actual breakfast there, just tea/coffee/juice & cakes/scones - although they might still be baking the cakes & scones if you arrive first thing. An alternative nearby is Henderson's wholefood cafe on Hanover Street - I think it opens at 8.

I also recommend the open top bus tour as a good way to get an overview of the Old & New Towns. You can get on & off as often as you like, so also a good way to get up hills ! E.g. you could get off near the top of the Royal Mile near the castle, walk down to the bottom of the Royal Mile near the palace then get back on the bus.

If you are interested in all 4 of the national galleries, be aware that there is a free bus running between them - the 2 other than those you have mentioned are not in the city centre. You can pick up a timetable at any of the galleries but the first one leaves the Mound (next to the NG & RSA) at 10.45, the Dean Gallery at 11.00 & the Portrait Gallery at 11.20. (BTW the Gallery of Modern Art is great for lunch, but get there early & be prepared to queue.)

If I can help with any other details, please ask.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Caroline, thanks for all the tips. Our flight gets into EDI at 7:40am, so I don't imagine we will be out and about until close to ten.

Having said that - I realize we will probably want a calm environment to sit in. Can you think of any particular cafe or restaurant serving breakfast that you would recommend for us old people (!) - active, but all in our 50s - in any downtown area?

Would be a great plus to find an internet connection, too, though not necessary (anticipating withdrawal already).
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:45 AM

Regarding internet access in Edinburgh, from personal experience I can tell you that you will find several internet cafes along the Royal Mile, and also inside Waverley train station. I'm sure there are others around the city as well.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:29 AM

In the area you're talking about, in addition to Henderson's which I mentioned before (scones, pastries etc) a favourite of mine is Centotre at 103 George Street. It's an Italian caffe-bar run by people from the same family as the famous Valvona & Crolla delicatessen, & is good at any time of day (breakfast, lunch, coffee, cocktails, dinner). It is open from 8am serving lovely pastries & variations on an Italian version of a cooked breakfast. It's only been open since spring 2004 so probably isn't in the latest version of StB.

In the same area (i.e. southern New Town) there is an Easycafe internet cafe on Rose Street, between Hanover Street & Frederick Street : I believe it's cheap for internet access but I'm not sure what they have in the way of refreshments. The last I heard was a couple of years ago when they had none : I think they were between coffee providers or something.

Also the Macdonalds towards the west end of Princes Street has an internet cafe downstairs I believe.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:39 AM

I had internet service in Edinburgh earlier this month at a video rental store across from my guest house. It was only £1 for 30 minutes, and open 10AM-10PM.

Might be worth checking other video stores.

Keith
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Caroline, went to the www.centotre.com site and I am in love with this place already; the 'breakfast bruschetta' is waiting for me!

Thank you to everyone. I am now going to relax about our first day there.

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 12:42 PM

I'm glad you asked - I have the same flight and wanted the same information.
Thank you all!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:02 AM

Dschoening & FLUFFYBUTT (?!), you're welcome : hope you both have a lovely time here & that the weather is kind to you !
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:00 AM

When I was in Edinburgh, I used Easy Internet, which I loved. If you don't use all the minutes you bought, they carry over to your next visit. There are two in Edinburgh, and I think the Rose Street one is in the neighborhood you're talking about: http://www.easyinternetcafe.com/map/edi.html

I'd also give a vote for Henderson's. If you don't go there for breakfast on your first day, I'd definitely put it on your list for another day (lunch or dinner, too). They have delicious food made from fresh ingredients, and a very friendly staff. Plus, they give you Green and Blacks as an after dinner chocolate. YUM!

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Caroline, isn't there a very nice croissanty cafe in a cul-de-sac off the top end of the High Street? Called Florentines or Fiorentino, or something?
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 01:08 AM

That's right, Sheila - Cafe Florentin on St Giles Street. Haven't been there for years - in fact I might only have been to the Stockbridge one - but it's supposed to be nice.