What's there to do in Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be there for 3 days. Of course there are the castles in the city, and the mile. How can I fill 3 days? How is Portobello beach? Is it worth going to?
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:01 PM
plr

Believe me, you will not have any trouble filling 3 days with wonderful things to see and do in or around Edinburgh. But you need to narrow down your interests for replies to be helpful. Great city!
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Walking tours. Of the old city, of the new city, of the pubs.
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
click on DESTINATIONS above -- there is a full feature on Edinburgh.

Way more sites than you have time so read up and pick/choose.
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:11 PM

Edinburgh castle is the major attraction of the place. Apart from that St Margaret's Chapel, Crown's Square and the Great Hall, stone of density are also fantastic. American airways free ticket letter was received by my aunt and she called us all to visit the place. It was more fun because it was a combination of family get together and a holiday.. Whom are you planning to go with? I suggest to take some friends along.
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:05 AM

When you leave, you ought to be able to remember the differences between the Old and New Towns and why they are the way they are, you ought to know Arthur's Seat and Calton Hill when you see photos of them, and you should probably visit the Castle. It is a good one. Walk the Royal Mile.

If it is raining a lot, the National Gallery of Scotland and the Museum of Scotland are wonderful in completely different ways.

If you like sport and the season is right, try to see Hearts play the Hibs.

How old are you? If young, I would suggest a night on Rose Street in the New Town. It is lined with pubs, and it used to be a challenge to have a pint in each of them in the course of the evening. Without collapsing. If you are older, perhaps dinner at the Cafe Royal and a stroll through the New Town might be more appropriate.

I cannot imagine taking the time to go to Portobello to the beach unless you are an aficionado of declining British seaside resorts.
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:31 AM

I live not far from Portobello and can honeslty say don't go out your way to visit there.
I go to the main street there because it has a great butcher and a not too bad greengrocers and a half decent deli,but thats it,I would'nt go for the beach,seldom warm enough here to enjoy a day at the beach.
http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/
this wesite is full of good info on what to see and do in Edinburgh.
Old May 5th, 2011, 01:02 AM

Tttman, For a better understanding of Edinburgh and all things Scotch, I would recommend reading:

How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in It by Arthur Herman

You will love Edinburgh …
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM

Edinburgh is one of the very few cities in the UK which can really claim to be alive for 24 hours a day. There's so much to choose between, from shopping and pampering to whisky tasting and golfing, not to mention the numerous festivals that take place in the Capital City. It is the perfect city to enjoy a short city break.

You can pick where to eat and what to do at almost any time of day - from a fantastic selection of venues covering the arts and music and all the cultural things you could ever want to do, to clubs and pubs and cafes, open from the early hours until, well, the early hours!
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:44 AM

When are you going? If you can plan accordingly, go in August during the Fringe Festival. It. Is. Amazing!!
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:49 AM

I wouldn't bother with Portobello either, the village of Cramond is nearer the city, on the water & much prettier.

A great informative website for Edinburgh is www.edinburgh.org, this also has a little video on it, just lasting a couple of minutes, that highlights all the sights.

I liked the city so much when I visited that I moved here!

Have a great trip!
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:07 AM

Hi tttman
It might be useful if you responded to the many replies; this is the third topic you have started and you have not acknowledged anyone. I know you are a new member but the replies you have received have asked for more detail which you have not yet picked up. I could add my suggestions if you want - and thats a question.
Steve
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

I would like to see something next to the water. What part of Edinburgh next to water is worth seeing?

Thanks
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:35 PM

The Former Royal Yatch Britania,berthed next to the Ocean terminal mall in leith.
you could also do a cruse to the Forth bridges
http://www.forthtours.com/
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:01 AM

I liked the Royal Yacht Britannia for something by the water.
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:20 AM

I also enjoyed viewing the former Royal Yacht Britannia at Leith and it's a pleasant walk there too from the main city. Also did one of the underground tours off the Royal Mile and found it quite interesting. However if you want to get out of Edinburgh go see Stirling Castle; I think it was better than Edinburgh castle.