North Yorkshire for a week

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Yorkshire for a week

Hi all you Yorkshire experts. My hubby, two teenagers and I will be staying in a cottage outside of Thirsk (Little Thirkleby)for a week at the end of July. We will have a car and would love any suggestions of what to do and the the best places to go. There is so much info on the web that it gets totally confusing. We love castles, walks and pubs with great beer!

NC Liz
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:27 AM

I spent a week in Leeds doing day trips all around Yorkshire in 2005. My favorite stops were York (definitely), Whitby, Rievaulx Abbey, and lots of places in the Yorkshire Dales. Dales had Bolton, Skipton, Jervaulx Abbey, Fountains Abbey, and just the dales themselves were lovely.

Morgana is our Dales expert, I believe - she helped me a LOT when I was planning my trip.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you will run out of days before you run out of places to go - for sure.

Just a few:

Take the train from Thirsk in to York one day. I say the train because you don't need a car in York at all and one full day will give you enough time to see most of the highlights in the city. Then if you have another free day later - you can always go back to York to see more.

One day drive down towards Malton and visit Castle Howard and Eden Camp.

Another day - go east on the A170 through Helmsley, see Rievaulx Abbey/Rievaulx Terrace, on to Pickering and take the North Yorkshire Moors steam railway (even if the railway wasn't a must by itself, Goathland station has major Harry Potter connections). Visit Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay. That is a lot for one day so you probably want to save Helmsley/Rievaulx for another day when you stay closer to home.

Then Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal and other sites near Ripon would take another day.

Spend at least one day exploring the Dales - two would be better.

Near your cottage are things like the James Herriot museum, Byland Abbey and the already mentioned Rievaulx Abbey.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:11 AM

GreenDragon has great suggestions. As you are basing in Thirsk are you going to see James Herriott stuff? If you are a fan you absolutely must do it.

In addition to places mentioned Robin Hood's Bay is lovely (near Whitby).

The Dales are wonderful, too - Dentdale, Wharfedale, Wensleydale, Rosedale - many incredibly gorgeous little villages such as Kettlewell, Reeth (Buttertubs Pass), Haworth, Hutton-le-Hole, etc. Man, I could go on and on.

Fountains Abbey is beautiful as is Bolton. Bamburgh Castle is very dramatic, especially at a distance. If you have been to lots of castles (we've been to over 150) the interior is very similar to many others.

Northern England is my favourite part of the country - just so full of beauty and scenery and culture and history that it is hard to take in!
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:16 AM

Here is the trip report for our week in North Yorkshire. You can ignore the first part, which is an overview of holiday logistics.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34937079

We stayed in a cottage not too far from where you will be, near to Pickering.

Let me know if you have any questions. You will have a great time.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I will map this all out. Years ago, we went to the Black Sheep Brewery. Is that still a good place to go? Any old pubs with good food and beer that we shouldn't miss during all our excursions?
We are huge James Herriott fans. Have all the All Creatures episodes on DVD. I didn't know they had much to see in Thirsk but a museum, so I will check it out.

NC Liz
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:22 AM

For a very detailed trip report of our week in the Leeds area, here is my website with pictures

http://www.greendragonartist.com/BI/...eports2005.htm
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Green Dragon! I shall pour myself a glass of wine and enjoy your trip report. You mentioned Morgana in one of your earlier posts. How does one get in touch with him/her?
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Rickmav, thanks so much! I didn't scroll down far enough the first time. I shall pour myself a second glass of wine and read your trip report too!

NC Liz
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
lizze: Morgana is a fodorite - if she is around/on-line, she will eventually see your thread. She is a terrific source for Yorkshire info.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM

saving for me
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM

Get into the Dales and the Yorkshire moors. Beautiful
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:09 PM

What janisj said - you can find her here on the forums. She lives in the Dales and is a wealth of information.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM

Sorry, after writing out some suggestions, I see that you have been and probably returned home by now. I hope that your trip was great and that we'll get a trip report.