York Area What to See

Aug 4th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

York Area What to See

Will be driving from Loch Lomond area next June. Want to spend 2 to 3 nights in the York area. Besides the city itself and Castle Howard, what else would you recommend we see on a short stay in York? Is Whitbey worth the trip up the coast?
Aug 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM

I think Fountains Abbey or even Rievaulx would be better choices. There is enough to see and do in York to keep you busy for several days.
Aug 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM

The North Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway runs from Pickering to Whitby. Could be a lovely run in June. Roughly the same route by drving is spectacular on a sunny day.
Aug 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Hi
I am lucky enough to live in this area and could give you enough suggestions of things to do to keep you occupied for weeks!
If you could let me know your particular interests then I am sure I can help you. In the meantime some info -
Fountains Abbey is a World Heritage site which included much more than just the Abbey ruins. Entry to the Fountains estate includes access to Fountains Hall, Studley Royal Water gardens etc and you could easily spend a lot of time here. It also has an excellent visitor centre. Rievaulx is lovely but you could 'see it' in much less time.
As York is quite compact you could see a lot in a day and that would leave you some time to explore the local area.
Whitby (note spelling) is a popular destination with its Abbey, Dracula connections, famous fish and chips shops etc but there may be other places you would be more interested in. For instance if you wanted to visit the coast I'd recomend Robin Hood's Bay too, a very picturesque little village with a steep main street leading down to the sea (and walks along the cliffs if you feel energetic).
As you are visiting in June you will have long days so you could make use of the light evenings for some scenic drives!
Aug 6th, 2010, 02:57 PM

I can't resist a special recommendation not to miss the York Castle Museum. It's one of my favorite museums anywhere.

http://www.yorkcastlemuseum.org.uk/P...tleMuseum.aspx

Sounds like you have a great trip planned - have fun!
Aug 7th, 2010, 12:39 AM

I would reiterate Morgana's advice - this said, there is a lot to see in york itself. If you are fairly active, the walk along the walls is very interesting. There are also many guided walks which will give you an insight into some of the hidden gems of York and its corresponding history. But Robin Hoods Bay and Whitby are a delight.