Reload this Page >

Wildblueyonder -- tourist dollars (pounds) for Devon and Cornwall

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 01:07 PM
BKP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wildblueyonder -- my apologies for singling you out in the title! I'll gladly accept any advice any one else is willing to share as well.

I read your post in the other thread about Devon and Cornwall hurting because of the terrible weather. We live just outside of London and my parents are coming from the States to spend the month of September with us. They have expressed an interest in visiting that area but further advice would be great.

We've driven out to Torquay, Newton Abbot, etc. Where else should we go? We were thinking about Tintagel Castle for the whole King Arthur fun. My mother loved Rebecca by DuMaurier but there isn't really much to see of the house, is that correct? My parents are pretty much up for anything. They have a whole month so there is plenty of time. We will probably have our 3 year old with us as well, if that makes a difference.

This has been a wet summer I guess, but we're from Seattle so at least it felt like home to us!

Thanks
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi BKP,

may I butt in? do i understand that you have a whole month? or that this is primarily a trip for them?

anyway, in a month you can see a great deal more than Torquay and Newton Abbot. [Newton Abbot??? - are you keen on the races? - I can't think of any other reason to go there!]

dealing with what might be described as the highlights of both counties in sections, [a purely personal selection, I'm sure others wil have their own]

Devon -

the south Hams and Salcombe, Dartmouth

Lynton, Lynmouth, Appledore and bideford, Clovelly, Hartland point.

Dartmoor, Exmoor.

Cornwall

Fowey [for Daphne Du Maurier]

Falmouth, Carrick Roads, St. Mawes.

Penzance, St. Ives,

Padstow, Tintagel, Port Isaac

Bude, Morwenstow

the Eden Project; Truro

you're right that you can't see "Menabilly" as a general rule, thoguh they do have concerts and receptions there sometimes, normally during the du maurier festival in May.

i suggest that you get a map out and have a look at where these places are in relation to each other. obviously if you're going to have your 3 year-old with you the whole time, that'll make a difference to what you can and want to do.

finally, the weather here in cornwall has been terrible but surely it can't last into September? can it?

hope this helps.

regards, ann
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Hi BKP

I tried to reply earlier, but Fodors site was kicking up again!

Ann has answered you very well and I agree with everything she's said (Ann, there is a nice rock n gem show in Newton Abbot, twice a year at the racecourse!) - particularly all of Torbay (including Paignton, Dawlish (black swans if they're still there), Brixham and Cockington for a cream tea!), Dartmoor, the South Hams area of Salcombe and Dartmouth and the whole of Cornwall (anywhere within Cornwall is within driving distance in a day!)

I would add that if your parents are interested in history, then they might make a pilgrimage to the Mayflower Steps on Plymouth's Barbican (you can do this from Dartmoor - I live on the outskirts of Plymouth, on the edge of the Moor) and, also, there is a place in the South Hams (east of Plymouth), called Slapton Sands, where there is a Sherman Tank, dredged up from the sea, which serves as a monument to the many US servicemen who lost their lives offshore, while training for D-Day (German E-boats got them).

Otherwise, it's all sea and sand! If ONLY the weather would improve! We came back from a month in the States at the beginning of July and we haven't seen the sun since; most depressing!

As for Seattle - well, we visited there in 2006, resigned to the fact that it might well be raining, only to find temperatures in the 90's and a view of Mt Rainier to die for! Lovely city!

Hope this helps a bit - if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:41 PM
BKP
Original Poster

Perfect! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Looking at the map I've never really known which areas to concentrate on. This will definitely get us started. Oh and we visited Newton Abbot because my husband's grandfather ran away to the States from there when he was a teenager.

My parents will be here for a whole month. They are hoping to see as much as possible, not just of Devon and Cornwall, but London, York, the Lakes District and Paris. It will be a busy month I think.

Whatever we don't get to see with them will definitely go on our own little list though. Thank you.

Seattle is in the high 80's right now. I convinced my parents to come in September (the best month for weather in Seattle) because "London weather is just like Seattle." Hope I'm not too wrong!
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM

One of my favourite bits of Cornwall is the road from St Just to St Ives, which has magnificant sea views of the very rugged coast, and also passes lots of standing stones and old tin mines.

Some of the mines are open to visitors (though no actual mining takes place now). There are also multiple art galleries and tea shops en-route. I think it's the B3306.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Also loved the tiny road from St. Just to St. Ives.

Tried to see Menabilly from the walking trail but at the time of year we went there were too many leafed-out trees in the way.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Just stick a pin in the Cornish map. It'll be great. Unless you've landed on Redruth.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM

I'd also add -

Cornwall - Looe and Polperro, and
East Devon area around Sidmouth/ Exmouth

Steve
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a drive to beautiful places in Devon (and Somerset), see my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...England+hedges
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 02:31 AM
BKP
Original Poster

Our list just keeps growing! Although nona -- you did pique our interest about Redruth!

schuler -- your trip report was great. That sort of spontaneous, serendipitous road trip is our dream. We have to plan a little bit more with a 3 year old! Someday though . . .

Thanks again for all of these great suggestions.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just stick a pin in the Cornish map. It'll be great. Unless you've landed on Redruth.>>

LOL - nona - guess where I live!

it's an interesting town with a great history - the first place to have gas lighting, care of William Murdoch, the starting point of many a miner's long journey by rail and sea to the colonies and elsewhere, the home of the last working tin-mine in the UK, but picturesque it ain't.

and it's very, very wet.

Wildblueyonder - I liked your suggestions too. I never knew that about the rock n gem show at N'ton Abbott but I stil don't hink I'l lbe gonig any time soon.

RM67 - the mine you are thinking of is Geevor - you can see the old workings and the men's boots and hats just where they left them for the last time, the way in which they separated the tin and other ores from what they dug up, and go down a 18C mine.

BKP - even in a month, your parents may have problems fitting in all those places. but they'll have fun trying.

regards, ann