Yorkshire/Hadrian's Wall Expertise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I joined onto P_M's thread entitled "Dividing our time between York, Lake District and Wales," requesting some detailed information regarding sites in those areas. Would those of you with extensive UK knowledge who may have already replied, please take a look again at that thread. Thanks.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:43 AM
ron

Since your's is a different question, why don't you post it here? I did look at the other post, my initial reaction was that you are wanting to visit too much in too short a period of time, i'd suggest getting a good map, locate the sights you want to see, and plan a route. My guess would be that a couple of nights in York and a couple in Hexham, dropping your car in Newcastle, and catching the train from there, would make sense. As I remember, Alamo and a number of others have depots near the station.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Included below is my question. I joined on to the original post as I thought P_M might also benefit from answers I would receive.

Ron, thank your for the ideas of where to base and drop the car.

I do have a map and am working on routes. I KNOW there is too much to see in too little time. A map can only tell me so much. That is why I was hoping for opinions referring to the specific sites listed. I am sure that those familiar with the area will have ideas as to what would most easily be included and a most efficient way to do it.

We will have a M-F, Oct. 31-Nov. 4 to spend in the area. Our "wish list" is York, Durham, Yorkshire and the Hadrian's Wall area.

In Yorkshire, our "wish list" is Fountains Abbey, Richmond Castle/Easby Abbey, Rievaulx Abbey/Mount Grace Church, Castle Howard, Whitby and Bolton Priory.

We are not decided upon a specific area of Hadrian's Wall. But I have read that Housesteads provides a good overview to the area. We would like to stop in Hexam as well.

We would like to see Barnard Castle between York and Durham if possible.

Could anyone offer opinions regarding what how you would plan your time and what general route you would use to achieve this itinerary. Would we be best to move from area to area or would a "home base" in the area be feasible?
I realize we won't be able to do it all. We will have a car and I have previously driven in the UK. We will either be in Manchester or somewhere in the Lake District on the morning of the 31st. We want to drop off the car on Nov. 4 and take the train to London. Where might be a good location for that?

Contrary to guide books, the English Heritage website indicates that many of these locations switch to winter hours that week meaning that they are closed T and W. Does anyone know if that is fact?

Thank you for your answers. P_M, I hope any answers I receive are helpful to you as well.

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:15 AM
ron

I'm not qualified to respond to your Yorkshire question, because the only places I have been to on your wish list are Fountains Abbey and Richmond Castle.

Housestead's is a good place to get a brief introduction to Hadrian's wall. It has a small museum, the extensive ruins, and it is right next to the most dramatic and rugged part of the wall. A walk along the wall west to Steel Rigg gives a real feel for what was involved building the wall and manning the defenses. With more time, the forts at Corbridge and Chesters are also worth visiting, as is Segedunum in Newcastle, where the wall starts.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:37 AM

<In Yorkshire, our "wish list" is Fountains Abbey, Richmond Castle/Easby Abbey, Rievaulx Abbey/Mount Grace Church, Castle Howard, Whitby and Bolton Priory.>

When you add any time at all in York itself you have about 4 days worth of things right there.

Plus you want to visit Durham and spend time on Hadrians Wall -- Just to see Housesteads and maybe Chesters plus walk a bit of the wall will take another full day.

Plus you have to check each property - many are closed for one or two days of the week at that time of year. I could look each one up - but you can do that to figure which are open when you are there.

If you really hope to squeeze most of this in you really don't have too much flexibility. Just stay in/near York for 3 nights and do York one day, Castle Howard and Whitby one day, Fountains and Reivaulx another day. After York go to Richmond on your way north, then through Durham, then to near Hexham for the last night and the next day (friday)

Then drop the car in Carlisle or Newcastle and take the train to London.