non smoking vs smoking rooms

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do non smokers have to pay more in some hotel rooms in Amersterdam to receive a room that has not been smoked in. Doesn't make sense. Shouldn't the smokers pay more since the smoke ruins the carpet, fixtures and beds. O.K. maybe not ruins, but the smell lasts forever. I think these hotels are taking advantage of us non smokers and at the same time making a higher profit.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:07 AM

I've never heard of a hotel charging more for non-smoking rooms before. Which hotels are these?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:10 AM

Neither have I. And from the standpoitn of people who smoke, of which I am not included, smoking doesn't &quot;ruin&quot; anything <b>for them</b>.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 06:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never heard of that practice. In fact, many hotels in Amsterdam are entirely non-smoking, very clearly stated on their websites.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

I am not having problems finding a hotel room that is no smoking in Amsterdam, everything is clearly stated on hotel's website. But when I came across the hotel I wanted to stay in (Crowne Plaza) the non smoking room was 60-70 euros more per night. I have just never seen this before.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:47 AM

'And from the standpoitn of people who smoke, of which I am not included, smoking doesn't &quot;ruin&quot; anything for them.'

It is interesting to me that anyone would try to speak from the standpoint of another person, whose experiences they do not share.

I do smoke, but I always request a non-smoking room in a hotel. (I also don't smoke inside my own home.) I don't want to sleep in a room that smells like an ashtray. And no, I don't smoke in the hotel room. When I want to have a cigarette, I simply go outdoors or to a designated smoking area.

I wish that non-smokers would try to be a little more understanding and that smokers would try to be a little bit more considerate.

Sorry to get off-topic.

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:54 AM

So you found one hotel like this? It is very possible that those rooms are a different class, and that is why the rate is different, not because they are nonsmoking. I don't know Amsterdam customs, but if smoking rooms are more common, it could be they limit the number of nonsmoking rooms and thus never have them at a discount or adjust rates based on occupancy rates.

In any case, it is a pricing decision relating to supply and demand, I imagine, as well as quality of room (perhaps location, size, etc), and I'm sure is not a fee solely for that fact alone.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:29 AM

I bet it is a case of the cheaper non-smoking rooms already being booked that date(s).

When searching room rates online in the US, it is not uncommon to find that the cheapest rate or a given type of room is only available in either smoking or non-smoking, but not both.

Keith
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:35 AM

I've seen instances where relatively cheap, prepaid rates are available for hotel rooms - but only for smoking rooms. I doubt that it's because all the cheapest non-smoking rooms are booked, because you can get the same class of room in non-smoking if you book a flexible rate. This is particularly true on the Holiday Inn site for some reason.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:37 AM

vegaslocal -- as an ex-smoker, I can tell you that no smoker is ever aware of how bad their smoke smells, and how it lingers on them for hours and hours on end. There is no mint, no spray, nothing other than quitting that can make it go away.

The act of smoking itself ruins smokers' sense of smell, and therefore, a smoking room would not bother them the way it would a non-smoker. I think that was the only point that was being made.

Jules
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

I understand that smokers may not want a smoking room, I should not assume that those who smoke will always want a smoking room. My point was that the hotel is making it appear that if I want a room that doesn't smell of smoke, I'd have to pay extra.(whether or not I am a smoker or non smoker) But maybe I am misunderstanding. Maybe the smoking room is of better quality, size or view.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

meant to say non smoking room at the end
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That would solve the mystery if it is a different type of room. 60-70 euro is a big jump in price, that's for sure.