Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there a hotel in Amsterdam under US $120.00?

Notices

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Cornelia

We are going to Amsterdam in March and after checking many hotels recommended on this board I concluded that there is nothing in our price range. Do you know any places near museums, where we can get a room with a private en-suite bathroom? We also hope that breakfast will be included and a hotel is located in a quiet area. As we are older we are looking for a hotel with an elevator. Any ideas, suggestions?
Please help us! We indeed researched this board extensively

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Danna

Cornelia... check out the Hotel Rant and Raves section of Fodors... we had a suite at the Hotel Washington for under $120 a night. It was in a lovely neighborhood. No elevator but you could ask for the street level room.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 12:36 PM
s.fowler

Non canal view rooms at Hotel Agora should be just under that price.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Jim Rosenberg

For Amsterdam, I've booked hotels in conjunction with the airline ticket because the rooms are so pricey otherwise. One that you might try is the Mercure Arthur Frommer, which is within walking distance of the Rijksmuseum, etc. Here's my journal entry:

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...5&EntryID=1286

By the way, many hotels do not seem to offer rooms for more than two people. This hotel does and the corner room in the foreground is very roomy.

Click on the pic at the bottom to enlarge it. Happy contrails!

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Logan

I'm big on Hotel Ambassade (about the amt you mentioned, maybe a bit more),although I wouldn't pay for the expensive breakfasts which are extra. The hotel itself is lovely . . . lots of antiques in lobby and sitting room. . . safe in room . . . occupying a row of old canal houses in a very desirable location. I liked it a lot.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 02:52 AM
brownie

Try Euphemia. We stayed there for less than US$120. Decent rooms ( would be 2* or less) with bathrooms attached and the usual breakfast. Location was ideal but there was no views from the rooms.

It is a budget place.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Lynn

I have stayed at the Acro Hotel on Jan Luykenstraat (less than 5 minutes walk from the Reichsmuseum and Van Gogh Museum) several times. Rooms are small and fairly basic, but very clean and do have TV and en-suite bathroom. Breakfast is included. The hotel is very quiet as it is on a street with very little traffic. It does have an elevator (or lift as we Brits call it!)
It is also on a street which runs parallel to the most upmarket shopping street in Amsterdam, PC Hoofstraat. The price for a double or twin room when we were there in August 2001 was 180 Guilders. I hope you enjoy your trip - I have visited in March and the weather was very cold so wrap up warm!

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 08:11 AM
pete

We just stayed in The Bridge Hotel (www.thebridgehotel.nl) two weeks ago for one night. It was recommended in Frommers. We paid $85 for a double room with ensuite and it had a small balcony overlooking the canal. It was not a luxurious room by any means, the furnishings were pine and a little beaten up, and the bathroom had poor lighting and the tub was stained--but it was clean, the sheets were crisp & white (duvets), the bathroom, although it had rust stains in the tub, was clean, and we had two large french doors opening onto a small balcony overlooking the canal. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was in a nice neighborhood, along the Amstel river (near the "skinny bridge") less than a block from the tramline running to the Rijksmuseum (although we walked there in about 15 minutes), also close to Waterlooplein (we took metro to/from central station) and Rembrandtplein. I would stay there again, I thought it was well-priced at $85, and the staff made it a pleasant stay.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 08:22 AM
richardab

Have you checked the Owl Hotel or the Westropa? i have stayed at both and they are clean, friendly and offer great rates. I have links on my websight--

http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Sandy

Two couples of us stayed at the Acro last May and we second Lynn. The hotel is very well located and quiet. The desk personnel are friendly and helpful. The rooms are VERY small but very well appointed (lots of hooks, shelves, large mirrors) and like Lynn said, spotless. We would definitely stay here again. We paid 180/night (about $78).

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Julie

Cornelia,

I was just introduced to this hotel when I was in Amsterdam last November:

Hotel Uptown (Budget/Moderate)
Korte Leidsedswarsstraat 147
1017 PZ Amsterdam
020/428-3125 phone
020/428-3105 fax
hoteluptown.com or [email protected]
This place turned out to be a surprise and a bit of a lifesaver since I needed a room on such short notice. Even though itís near the Leidseplein, itís far enough away that you donít get the crowds/noise. Breakfast is included. However, note that there isn't an elevator although I believe you only have to walk up one flight of stairs. The staff was young but very helpful and the price was very reasonable. Definitely would consider returning.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Bel

I booked a room at the AMS Museum Hotel (part of the Best Western group, but don't let that turn you off). We basically a block from the Rijksmuseum, with an incredible view of the beautiful building from our window. Decent quality rooms, free cold breakfast, and right across the street from a canal tour company. I booked through Octopustravel.com and got it for about $100 per night--in the high season. Good luck! =)

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Betsy

The Hotel Toren I believe would fall into your price range. It is in a beautiful refurbished mansion in a quiet neighborhood about 3/4 of a mile up the street from the Van Gough Museum. It is right on a tram line and breakfast is included.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Meg

I second the recommendation on The Bridge Hotel. We have stayed there 3 or 4 times and have always been pleased. Room 122 has a small balcony (maybe the one the above poster stayed in), but we usually stay in Room 123. Great location. Quiet at night but only a 5 - 10 minute walk in any direction to tram, metro stop or Rembrandtplein. It's not fancy, but it's comfortable. We've never paid more than $90 a night. Have a great trip!

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Ryaan

Has anyone ever stayed at the Canal House Hotel? I would love to hear comments.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Nicole

Ryaan,

We stayed at the Canal House Hotel in Amsterdam for our honeymoon in August 2001. We loved it! We chose it because of all the recommendations on this board and in travel guidebooks.

Our room was cozy, a nice size by European standards, full of antiques...the room and bathroom were very clean. I would highly recommend it. We paid approximately $160 US at the time, and I believe we had one of the most expensive rooms there -- top floor, canal view, with the original hoisting wheel on the ceiling. There are less expensive rooms there.

Their website is http://www.canalhouse.nl/.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 03:34 PM
kh

Consider this: Are you flying KLM? If so, you can front up to their hotel desk after you clear Customs at Schipol and they have a list of hotels which are discounting their rates. We have done this several times and have had good luck. HOWEVER, we always have a stand-by reservation at a hotel which has a same-day cancellation policy in case there are no hotels available or they're out of our price range. (You just have to remember to phone and cancel!) If you're there mid-March you MUST go to Keukenhof to see the bulbs. Bye!

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Geri

Hotel Brouwer is charming and doubles only 75 Euros including breakfast.
www.hotelbrouwer.nl

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Jay

If you haven't already booked anything, try www.bookings.nl I will be in Amsterdam in March as well and found a twin/double room at the Jolly Hotel Carlton for 115 Euro's a night including breakfast. Depending on the dates you might also try the Die Port Van Cleve, they have a special for 99 Euro without breakfast.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Gerhardt Whulrasen

Greetings Cornelia:
The Hotel des Arts is where I stay whenever in A'dam. Go to www.hotels.nl. They have a pleasant breakfast and you'll find yourself in the centre of all that's appealing.
Cheers...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information