No creams in carry-on

Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

No creams in carry-on

We're flying Eurofly to Rome later this week and were just told that absolutely no creams, gels, or liquids would be allowed in carry-on bags (unless medication or for a baby), even in small amounts. Is this standard on international flights now? I'd gotten used to packing my little ziplock back of toiletries and can't imagine not bringing on a little toothpaste, hand cream, etc.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:26 AM

Where from ? The standard when departing from European airports at the moment is the 1 litre plastic bag holding containers up to 100ml each. There was a period a year or two ago when nothing at all was allowed in when departing from UK airports but that's past now. I suppose it's possible this airline might tellyyou this, but they are not the ones scanning your hand luggage, are they ?
Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:33 AM

From the S it's still 3-1-1 - http://www.tsa.gov/311/

From Europe it's virtually the same except that the sizes are metric
Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

We're departing out of JFK; this info was on a recorded message from Eurofly. We're apparently in a high alert (orange) period.

I don't know who will be scanning our carry-on bags, but I sure wouldn't want to be forced to throw away my beauty products! Once they are scanned, it will be too late to stick them into checked luggage, of course.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:08 AM

But it's not up to the airline, it's up to the country & airport you are flying from. The airline can further reduce the country/airport rules by, for instance, only allowing 1 carry-on bag, but they are not going to tell you what you can or can't put in it and they are not going to search it.

For departing from JFK, the relevant authorities are the TSA (as Alan said) and the JFK airport authority, so check the TSA & JFK websites. The standard European rule as stated above applies at Rome.

As for "Once they are scanned, it will be too late to stick them into checked luggage, of course." - no it's not, you can go back and check in another bag. We have done this when it turned out a bag of gifts we'd been given contained a liquid which may have been too high a volume.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:22 AM

"We're departing out of JFK; this info was on a recorded message from Eurofly. We're apparently in a high alert (orange) period."

LOL!

We have been in a HIGH alert period for over two years. The TSA missed the Boy Who Cried Wolf story in elementary school. (What will they do where there is a REAL threat? They have gotten us all IMMUNE to the "high level" TSA- Thousands Standing Around!)

However, regardless of what Eurofly says the TSA will allow you to bring on the 3 oz liquids in the "magic" 1 quart plastic baggie.

Now maybe Eurofly does a second screening nad has thier own rules?
Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:38 AM

i saw the same travel advisory recently at the valencia, spain airport for ALL passengers travelling to the USA.

within europe still the small 30z. containers.. but seems that now to the USA, (in and out,too, i imagine) it has changed.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:34 AM

I've checked the TSA, JFK, and Eurofly web sites, and there is exactly zero supporting documentation out there. Eurofly does have very limited carry-on allowance of 5 kg (11 lbs), so using your full 1 liter bag, assuming it were absolutely stuffed with liquids, would eat up 1 kg of that allowance.

Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:39 AM

I just returned from Europe and had toothpaste, moisterizer and hand cream in my carryon. No problem. They even hand checked my bag.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
LJ

The airport I fly out of most frequently can be frighteningly exact about that whole liquids/creams/gels thing. I once had my brand new 3.5 fluid oz. moisturizer taken away from me and learned my lesson: sample packs.

If you go to your local cosmetic counter, they will supply you will tiny sample packs of moisturizer and hand cream if you smile nicely and appear you may buy the full size on your next visit. Or you can claim the need to test for allergies. Or even (this is radical!) tell the truth: you are going on a plane and want to subvert the system!

Toothpaste is harder, I agree, but some health food stores carry sample packs to induce folks to try their brands.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:53 AM

NYC has been in a high-alert (orange) period constatntly since 9/11 (since we're the ones they really want to get).

There's no reason why the airline should tell you no liquids now. I would call and ask them.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM

It appears to just be Eurofly, if that is really their rule.

I think they can do whatever they want on their own airline. I don't know how their setup works, but some airlines do scan or search bags again right at the gate, it is possible (although not common).

If they really don't allow it, why not check some in a smaller tote bag given they allow 2 free checked bags per customer, if the thought is you want something in case your bag is lost. That kind of stuff is easy to buy, anyway. You really don't have to have hand cream during a few hours flight, one will survive.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM

"Toothpaste is harder" Toothpaste is one of the very easiest products to find in small sizes. Just about every drug store, Target, Walmart, supermarket, Ulta, etc etc has travel-sized toothpaste of most of the mainstream brands.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM

meant to add - these products are often found in a different department than the regular toothpaste/toothbrush/dental care aisle. It is usually called "Travel products" or "Sample sizes" or something like that.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:41 AM

On a recent European trip, we flew on 3 different European airlines and not a one of them even looked at the quart-size bag of 3-oz. liquids in my carry-on, nor did they weigh or measure the bag (although their websites stated that they would). However, the scanners did spot my contraband Nutella, all 2 tablespoons of it (LOL), and promptly scolded me as they tossed it into the trash. I must say I was gratified to know that they were alert to such dangerous "creams."
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
LJ

JanisJ: I did not explain myself well with regard to the toothpaste...I am not speaking of the small size TUBES of toothpaste (or moisturizer, hand lotion et al). They are subject to confiscation, too, as some of us with overzealous airport security experience have discovered.

I am talking about the true 'sample' pack. They are usually slim, plasticized, tinfoil packets with just one use or application. They are often marked with the phrase "Sample: not for resale"

I have never had one of those taken from me and collect them from my toiletry retailer (and my friend who sells Mary Kay) for exactly this purpose.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM

The "sample" sizes toothpastes that age basically good for one or two uses can be collected from your hotel front desk at SOME hotels. (Marriott has them for example)

If an AMRERICAN TSA jerk tries to take anything of mine that is under the limit, I stop them and ask for thier supervisor. (Which is always a show stopper. At least twice I have been told "waiting for him will make you miss your plane" Fine, I will take the risk) I probably know the TSA rules as well as the poorly trained agents we have and refuse to be "bullied".

If a foreign rep does it I give in, my language skills aren't up to fighting in another language. Plus I don't know their rules.