Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anybody used the new Hovercraft ultra light luggage by Eagle Creek?

Sep 12th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

I was looking at the ad for the 22" carry on from Magellan's (Ebag sells it also) and was tempted by the 7.25 pound weight. A close up view showed the wheels, which looked not to be like the newer in-line skate type but the old fashioned straight rolling kind.

Ebags had some reviews and everyone raved about it, only one passing comment about the wheels being as I mentioned. That person hadn't tried it out on a trip yet so I was wondering if the bag handled as well on the fly. Evidently, changing to the old type wheels helps keep the weight down. I wonder at what cost though.

Any comments?
Sep 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM

I'm assuming you are going to use it in Europe and you mean this one - http://www.eaglecreek.com/bags_lugga...raft-20-20186/

Well, it's expensive, heavy, it's too big for most low costs airlines (MAX 55x45x20cm)and I'd want to measure it very carefully just in case the 51cm length doesn't include wheels or handle which could put it over the limit for UK airports(MAX 56x45x25cm)
Sep 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM

I have the Eagle Creek Velocity 20" bag and it looks like the wheels on it and on the bag you are interested in are the same, though it's hard to tell on the Eagle Creek site. Both of these lines are the newest collections so one might think they would use the same wheels. But who knows?

If they are the same, you will be very satisfied. I travelled for 30 days with the Velocity 20" this summer and was very pleased.

Do you have a luggage store in your area where you can look at both bags?
Sep 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Oops - Max for low costs airlines is typically 55x40x20cm which is also the max for Stansted Airport except for Maxjet & Eos passengers
Sep 12th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Alan, you said heavy. I thought 7.25 pounds (3.44 kg)was pretty light since everything else I've found is 8 to 11 pounds. I'd love to know if you've found something lighter.

I was actually thinking about the 20" bag.
Sep 12th, 2007, 11:34 PM

On some European airlines the hand luggage allowance is as low as 11lbs therefore you wouldn't be able to carry much more than a sandwich and a book in the bag

Even if you get an allowance of 10kg (typical for low costs) that means one-third of your allowance is taken by the weight of the bag.
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

I'm not going to be using it on the smaller intra European carriers, so I'm not as concerned with the airlines weight restrictions as I am with my own restrictions. I've been using a 21" carryon but it weighs about 11 pounds empty. I did O.K. with it to Europe last spring but I'd love to lighten that load and was curious if anyone had experience with this bag.
Sep 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM

<<< I'm not going to be using it on the smaller intra European carriers, >>>

Alitalia, Ryanair & Easyjet are NOT small intra-European carriers - Ryanair is one of the biggest airlines in the world
Sep 13th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

I meant planes actually, not the companies. I was responding to what you said "On some European airlines the hand luggage allowance is as low as 11lbs therefore". Sorry for the confusion.

I meant to say that the planes I would use it on, there would not be a problem with a carry-on bag of that size. We fly Delta BE transtlantic and usually drive once we get to Europe.

So, back to my question, sshephard's bag probably has the same wheels as the Hovercraft. I liked the in line skate type wheels and just wondered if the Hovercraft's would be as easy to roll.