Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you help with carry on luggage info?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - We travel a lot and usually use our backpacks for carry ons. This works well, but sometimes we're only going for a couple of days and would like to have a "regular" carry on bag so that we don't have to check any luggage.

I want something that is light weight, wheels (I think), and fits into the overheads without doing contortions. We have Eagle Creek for our check in luggage and love it. We may go that route, but I was hoping that all you travelers would have some suggestions. Any favorites out there?

Thanks, sue
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Samsonite spinners!! you won't want to go back to a mere two wheeled suitcase again...
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:06 AM

I haven't checked a bag in 3 years. I always have my backpack, which fits under the seat in front of me and my luggage piece that goes overhead. Definitely get something with wheels. I'm thrifty and purchase my luggage at Marshall's as they have Samsonite & many, many other name brands and it's cheaper than at luggage stores. I don't mind having last year's fashion. I suggest you don't go with brand as much as weight and size. Check the airlines allowances on those you fly the most. The sizes they allow vary. My husband's bag is ok on Continental but not on Air France. When traveling internationally, they care more about the weight than I've witnessed on domestic flights. You just have to be able to lift the bag overhead. If you travel internationally, Samsonite has a "featherweight" piece of carry on luggage that my friend has. Empty it weighes something like 13oz. This helps her carry more stuff when traveling without paying the weight penalty. I don't know the exact name of her Samsonite luggage but she did pay handsomely for it. Also, I look for the least amount of "stuff" on the inside. The more zippers, compartments, etc weigh more but also restrict me in my decisions of what I can fit into the bag. As long as you don't unzip the front compartment to "expand" the bag, your bag should fit easily into the overhead with no problems. Good luck.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:14 AM

bear in mind - if you are connecting, many times now airlines use the smaller ERJs or CRJs to connect you to their hub. chances are your bag won't be a carryon unless it's DARN small.

you can gate check however.

featherweight sounds interesting...
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A softsided duffle bag works well and is extremely light weight. I have used LeSac and Andiamo brands. They are good because you can squish them into storage spaces.

Otherwise I'd go for something with wheels. Depends on the airlines what you can get away with as carry-on. A 19" wheeled suitcase would be safest. But you might manage up to 20-22". If it is for international travel there is sometimes a strict weight limit in addition to the size limits.

Wheels do add weight to the piece, what with the wheels, frame, handle mechanisms. I'm guessing the Samsomite Featherweight mentioned above doesn't have wheels? If it does I am willing to "pay handsomely" since normally small wheeled luggage is about 8 lbs empty.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM

I have an Atlantic Infinity, and I really like it. It also expands and additional 3 inches or so. I got mine at a AAA store. This is the one I have.

http://www.atlanticluggage.com/produ.../carry_all.asp