Search

Suitcase too big!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suitcase too big!

My largest suitcase is on the border (when you measure do you include the feet at the bottom?)
Has any one been told thier suitcase was too big? Do the charge for it, like over weight?
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:25 AM

Call the airline to ask about whether they count the buttons -- each company has their own rules.

As for charging extra, you betcha. They'll charge for over-size...and some of them are now completely rejecting bags which are over their weight maximums!

--auntie maria
www.mele.com
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

Are you trying to get on with carry-on luggage only? If so, they pretty much all count the wheels in the measurement.

If you're going with checked luggage, they might not be so sticky about the wheels.

However, do you really want to drag around that big of a suitcase? You might try re-packing in the next smaller suitcase as what we think won't fit usually will.

I took a 28" suitcase on a trip once and it was a pain in the butt. It was too big to easily lift, etc. by myself. Going down to a 24" suitcase was much better - and my clothes didn't wrinkle as much since there wasn't as much empty space in the bag.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You need to call the specific airline you are flying or read their website.

That must be a REAL big suitcase if you mean it is too big to be accepted as checked luggage! How can you even handle it? Lifting it, getting it off the carousel, etc.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM

My recent flights on USAir & Southwest
(both domestic)were indeed charging for any bag that weighed over 50Lbs. So, for checked luggage I think you could have a large suitcase or a medium suitcase and as long as they didn't weigh over 50 lbs.

Carry-on is where the dimensions of luggage seem to trump weight.

And, since you asked, we were returning
on one of the flights
with some family "heirlooms" in a large suticase that unfortunetly put that case over the weight limit and we paid
$35. A guy at our destination said to Mr R5, "Wow, you should learn how to pack light !" and Mr R5 said, "God, would you tell my father-in-law that ?"
It was a good laugh !!!!

R5
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:48 AM

If you're talking carryon, yes they measure the handle, feet, wheels etc for size limits. If it's too big, it will be checked. Yes they charge for checked baggage that's overweight (usually 50#) BUT, as mentioned above, check with the airline, especially since some aren't accepting overweight bags.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Airlines are VERY specific about BOTH the weight and size of checked luggage.
These days it seems 50 pounds is the upper limit for checked luggage as is the 62" dimension (length plus width plus height)restriction.

Carry-on sizes seem to vary a little more. For example, USAirways will accept a carry-on up to 26"