California house/villa rental for group of 8

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to rent a house late September for a "girls trip" to celebrate 50th birthday. Something extra special, budget not a big issue. We haven't decided which part of CA, just know we want to go somewhere in the CA area. Our thinking is we'd have more fun if could all be together in one house vs. hotel. But, we would like a house that would offer amenities/staff if needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:21 AM

You might consider renting out a small B&B. Check out: http://www.bbonline.com/
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"We haven't decided which part of CA, just know we want to go somewhere in the CA area" That is a HUGE "area". Larger than several European countries, larger than New England/New York/Pennsylvania - combined. To get any sort of reasonable advice you sorta need to narrow it down a bit - and give us at least a ball park of your budget.

Do you want along the coast, in wine country, in the mountains, in a city??????
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:32 AM

I was thinking the same thing - you could have many different types of vacations within California - so it is important to decide what type of vacation you want to have. Then people can help you out with specifics. Like if you want a coastal vacation, but don't know which part of the coast, people will have all sorts of ideas for you.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM

My suggestion would be Sonoma County. The area just has so much to do. You would need to rent a car though. You don't say how long you are planning to be in CA. Sonoma County has it all really. Wonderful scenery, great food, tons of wineries, spas, easy access to the coast, and if you have enough time, you could go into SF for a day if you wanted to. Just throwing out an idea.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for sounding so fickle. I knew that "anywhere" in CA would get me in trouble and pose a problem, so let me see if I can narrow it down. Problem is we would like wine country and coastal. Is that even possible? If not, wine country would be first choice. Second choice would be Southern CA coastal area. We just want to have a fabulous place we can "bond" with the girls... celebrating just being together. Our budget is not set in stone, but we are thinking around $5000, but we're flexible since there are 8 of us.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:36 AM
TahitiTams

La Jolla/Del Mar/Coronado would be a perfect place to rent a luxurious villa in September for around $5K a week..gorgeous weather and the ocean will still be swimmable.
It probably will not include staff but some great homes to choose from..just plug in La Jolla/Del Mar/Coronado.
Have fun!
www.vacationrentals.com

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM

For Homes and Condo rentals also try www.vrbo.com. I sure there are other sites as well.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:32 AM

Katiekate--if you want coastal and wine--think Pismo Beach or Morro Bay. With Pismo, you can stay on the beach, and go out for day trips to wineries from Santa Ynez to Paso Robles.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:11 AM

Sonoma would be my choicet esp around Bodega Bay or Jenner. 1 hour north of San FRan so can land at SFO and if early enough in the day hit the Ferry FArmers Mrket for great food/wine lunch at Slanted Door , drive over the San Fran Bridge along coast part way to Bodega Jenner at the Russian River intersect with the Pacific ocean.
There are some cottage rentals right at Jenner on the ocean but may be a litle rustic but nice location.
HIke Armstrong Redwood park..
Tour nearby Champagne maker
Do hot air ballons and wine
Hire a private wine tasting tour limo
Loads of restaurants
Spas....

or I would book one of the Four Sisters Inns

www.FourSisters.com

Discover Bodega BAy
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all the great advise. I think we are leaning towards the Sonoma/Napa area. If anyone has knowledge of a particular home to rent in the area, plz let me know.
Or, 2nd choice is the LaJolla area.
Thank you again.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:34 PM

You could get a riverfront house in the Russian River area and be close to all the Russian River/Sonoma wineries, plus a nice drive to the coast/Bodega Bay. We rented from Russian River Getaways and they were very nice to work with. The house we rented was a small cabin for a couple, but they have many larger properties on their website. rrgetaways.com

This area was quiet, friendly, and just beautiful.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM

I do think you want Sonoma County...it has both wine country and coast near each other.

Why don't you go to vrbo.com and put in the area and see what you come up with. I know there are many suitable places, I just don't know of specific ones.

Good luck.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM

Here is another idea. Sea Ranch, on the north coast of CA. An upscale 'development' of homes on 10 miles of coast, in clusters with open space. A small town, Gualala, with an arts center, restaurants, etc. You can drive up to the ridge to the Annapolis winery. There is a golf course and stables.

Go to searanchrentals.com and check it out.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM

I looked up Jenner Inn and cottages and they have a house for rent...
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Gosh, CA has soooooo much to offer. This is going to be a hard decision. I was in Santa Barbara last December and loved that area, too.