Search

Nine hours without chapstick

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:28 PM
PJK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nine hours without chapstick

As bizarre as this may sound, I think I am basically "addicted" to wearing chapstick. Since I was very young, I have carried chapstick everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. I never am without it. I honestly think not being able to have a tube of chapstick with me on a nine hour flight is going to be miserable. Any suggestions for an alternative, acceptable product to carry on the plane. PJK
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM

German Goose Grease!
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:31 PM

i don't know where you're flying from, but if it's the US, tsa.gov says tube chapsticks are okay.

Why not check with the airlines/the tsa website to see if it's allowed?
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:33 PM

I've always thought that chapstick had some wierd ingredient that made it addicting. Vaseline works for me, but that's not allowed anymore either. Alas
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:35 PM

My lips are too thin to need chapstick so I can not feel your pain.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM

I know several people "addicted" to chapstick, of which I am one. Nine hours? You're lucky. I'm flying Mon. and figure about 2 hrs. from the security line till the plane takes off, 2 1/2 hrs. in the air, a 3 hr. connection, and then an 8 hr. flight - which totals around 16 before I get my hands on my checked luggage with chapstick. And that's if nothing happens. Supposedly you can take chapstick now, but just in case, I'm also going to cut about 1/4" off an old one, put it in a tiny zip-lock bag, and stick it in my wallet between some bills. So now I'm thinking about chapstick like I would drugs if I were trying to smuggle them. Spend too much time thinking of how to thwart the system enough to have a few creature comforts. Hate it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:08 PM

"So now I'm thinking about chapstick like I would drugs if I were trying to smuggle them. Spend too much time thinking of how to thwart the system enough to have a few creature comforts. Hate it."

Think anal suppositories. Did you read the book 'Papillon?'

Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
P_M

Soon they will have chap-stick sniffing dogs. And forget anal suppositories, that's the first place a dog will sniff.

Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:29 PM

Unless they are using beagles. Beagles have very short legs.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:50 PM

Polly, I'm right there with ya. I need lipgloss, vaseline, or something similar on my lips at all times. I cannot imagine a transatlantic flight without it. It's a major issue with me. Like you, I'm trying to think of ways to sneak some on. I won't be taking any long flights until March; maybe by then, the rules will have changed again.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:23 PM

I, too, am addicted to my chapsticks and freaked a bit when I learned I could not carry them on-board a return flight a few days after new restrictions were implemented. Lotion and chapstick, gotta have them. I sliced a chapstick into small disks, wrapped them in tissue and tucked them into my wallet. Haven't found a solution yet for lotion.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:41 PM

PJK, have you checked your airline's policy? I flew home from Zurich just a week or so ago on American Airlines, and the regular old chapstick was totally allowable, as was tube lipstick, as long as it wasn't that kind that goes on with a brush. My husband even showed them his Blistex lip cream, and they waved him on. No problems in that regard whatsoever.

Enjoy yourself!

Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:43 PM
lyb

I am laughing so hard because I've got the same problem, but my addiction is to lipgloss and handlotion. I can't bring lipgloss, but so far, chapstick is permitted, at least as of the last time I checked.

Hand lotion - I'm still trying to figure that one out. I was at Bath & Body Works the other day and the girl gave me some lotion samples in little paper wrappings..similar to wet ones...I'm going to hope I can bring those on board since I've got about 24 hours that I'll be away from my luggage, (2 hours at airport, 5 hours to Atlanta, 6 hours in Atlanta and then 9.5 hours to Venice). I was thinking of where I could put it and then act stupid if they find it.

Oh, my god, this ban is making smugglers out of many of us law abiding citizens!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:47 PM

Why don't all of you ring up Woody Allen to see if can give some guidance. He seems to live a pretty productive life dealing with all his neuroses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosis
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:07 PM

I have a solution for you....condoms !
You can even get the ones with "flavours", you may draw curious stares as you rub your rubber over your lips! But at least they will be lubricated for the journey !
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
lyb

marko,

you may not be so far off, according to the TSA website, 4 oz of "personal lubricant" is allowed in carry on luggage.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM

Holy cow! Sounds like this could easily turn into the newest 12 step program. Maybe now is a good time to just say "no" to the chapstick addiction.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
lyb

ok, first step,

My name is LYB, I am a lipgloss/chapstick addict!

Whew...just admitting it felt good.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 10:33 PM

I guess I will have to make do with regular chapstick, but it is so waxy I don't feel like it really moisturizes my lips. The best thing I've found is Aquaphor, which has a consistency like Vaseline. I buy it in a huge tub, and carry small quantities in my purse in a contact lens case. I wonder if they would open the case to check? I have considered buying a small tube of KY, squeezing out the KY and putting my lip stuff in the tube.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM

"I have a solution for you....condoms !
You can even get the ones with "flavours", you may draw curious stares as you rub your rubber over your lips! But at least they will be lubricated for the journey !"

What has happenened to the 'Mile High' community when condoms are being used for lipgloss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -