Search

Night Train from St Pete to Moscow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Art
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night Train from St Pete to Moscow

Any advice. We will be flying into St. Pete and out of Moscow. We are planning on taking the overnight train between the two. Anyone with any experiance doing that. Any advice will be welcome.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.<BR>
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:13 AM

We took the overnight train both ways a couple of years ago. The only advice I have that differs from non-overnight travel in France, Italy, etc. is:<BR><BR>* Allow more time to book the tickets, or consider booking them in advance if the difference in price doesn't bother you. The customer &quot;service&quot; we received when trying to book tickets was about the worst we've ever had, and we live in China! (Ha, ha.) <BR><BR>* Do pack long johns or other modest, weather-appropriate sleepwear, along with, if you use them, earplugs, eyepatch, and sleeping pill. <BR><BR>Also, at least when we did it, the schedule was slightly less than overnight, so that meant you leave pretty late (past 10 p.m.) and arrive very early (before 6 a.m.?), so ask your hotel in the arrival city if you can check in REALLY early. Ours let us with no charge, but we've done this in other cities where they've wanted to charge us and we just explored the city at dawn instead, which is also nice!<BR><BR>Have a great time!<BR><BR>[email protected]
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:16 AM

Oh, I forgot. They do actually say that you should not take a taxi from the train stations, but rather, they recommend that you arrange transportation from your hotel. <BR><BR>If you do take a taxi (we did, but this was in 2000), be sure to have your hotel address written in Cyrillic to give to the taxi driver, and negotiate the price in advance.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:10 AM

I considered doing the train but ended up llying because the price was not that different and I wasn't 100% comfortable with the info I was seeing about the overnight train.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:13 AM

As Andrea says, the night is just a little short. So I think you want trains numbers 6, 2 or 4, which leave Moscow at 2330, 2355 and 2359 and reach St P at 0705, 0755, and 0800. When you book you should ask how soon you can board the train and go to bed. Earlier trains reach St P about five or six in the morning.<BR><BR>[email protected]
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 02:41 AM

Art --<BR><BR>My wife &amp; I took the train last Sept. Highly recommend you upgrade to a private compartment. Shouldn't cost that much more -- I forget how much -- but it was definitely worth it. The compartments are not big to begin with plus you will have privacy.<BR><BR>Happy trails. Email me if you want a travelog from our trip to St. Pete/Moscow.<BR><BR>Bob<BR><BR>[email protected]
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 04:37 PM

Art-Do consider reserving a private compartment, as previously stated. The upgrade cost will be minimal and the security factor increased. The compartment will have a type of 'overlock' for the doorknob, making it securely shut to an outsider. The train will make 2 or 3 brief stops enroute to either city-do NOT even think of getting off to have a look around. Relax and have a good time-taking the night train between these 2 spectacular cities really maximizes your free time in both.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:55 PM

ST. PETERSBURG - MOSCOW<BR>All direct trains St. Petersburg - Moscow are listed. <BR><BR>Afternoon train #23 (&quot;Yunost&quot; - &quot;Youth Express&quot<BR>St Petersburg Moskovski [Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat 12.20] - Moscow Leningradski [same day 20.57].Total Time: 7h47m. Price: seat 1st class around $39, seat 2nd class around $17<BR>Comments: stops everywhere along the way, interesting for hop off / hop on, but you should get tickets in advance.<BR><BR>Daily evening train #159 (Aurora Express)<BR>St Petersburg Moskovski [daily 16.00] - Moscow Leningradski [same day 21.41].Total Time: 5h41m. Price: 1st class (2-berth compartment) $50, 2nd class (4-berth compartment) $35, 2nd class -- seat $33. <BR><BR>Evening train #165 (Nevsky Express) (recommended for speed)<BR>St Petersburg Moskovski [Tue, Fri 18.30] - Moscow Leningradski [same day 23.23].Total Time: 4h54m. Price: seat 2nd class $40 <BR><BR>Daily night train #29<BR>St Petersburg Moskovski [daily 21.55] - Moscow Leningradski [next day 5.32].Total Time: 7h37m. Price: 1st class (2-berth comp) $45, 2nd class (4-berth compartment) $20, 3rd class (common sleeping carriage, platzcart) $12 <BR><BR>Daily night train #37 (Afanasy Nikitin)<BR>St Petersburg Moskovski [daily 22.25] - Moscow Leningradski [next day 6.01] . Total Time: 7h36m. Price: 1st class (2-berth comp, meals, bedsheets, security) $68, 2nd class (4-berth compartment, meals, bedsheets, security) $31, 3rd class (common sleeping carriage, platzcart) $18 <BR><BR>Daily night train #27 (recommended for price/quality)<BR>St Petersburg Moskovski [daily 22.30] - Moscow Leningradski [next day 6.07]. Total Time: 7h37m. Price:1st class (2-berth comp, security) $47, 2nd class (4-berth compartment, security) $23, 3rd class (common sleeping carriage, platzcart) $12. <BR><BR>Daily night train #19<BR>St Petersburg Moskovski [daily 23.00] - Moscow Leningradski [next day 6.38]. Total Time: 7h37m. Price:1st class (2-berth comp, security) $53, 2nd class (4-berth compartment, security) $28, 3rd class (common sleeping carriage, platzcart) $12. <BR><BR>Daily night train #25<BR>St Petersburg Moskovski [daily 23.10] - Moscow Leningradski [next day 6.50]. Total Time: 7h40m. Price:1st class (2-berth comp, security) $75, 2nd class (4-berth compartment, security) $39 <BR>Daily night train #5 (Nikolay's Express) (recommended for comfort)<BR>St Petersburg Moskovski [daily 23.35] - Moscow Leningradski [next day 7.20]. Total Time: 7h45m. Price:1st class (2-berth comp, meals, bedsheets, security) $90, 2nd class (4-berth compartment, meals, bedsheets, security) $40 <BR><BR>Daily night train #1 (Red Arrow) (recommended for comfort)<BR>St Petersburg Moskovski [daily 23.55] - Moscow Leningradski [next day 7.55]. Total Time: 7h55m. Price:1st class (2-berth comp, meals, bedsheets, security) $88, 2nd class (4-berth compartment, meals, bedsheets, security) $40 <BR><BR>Daily night train #3 (Express)<BR>St Petersburg Moskovski [daily 23.59] - Moscow Leningradski [next day 8.01]. Total Time: 8h00m. Price:1st class (2-berth comp, meals, bedsheets, security) $75, 2nd class (4-berth compartment, meals, bedsheets, security) $40 <BR> <BR><BR>
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Hi. I actually took the trip from Moscow to St Petersburg in November as part of a General Tours package. Our train left Moscow at midnight and got to St Petersburg at 7. We had two person compartment that was very comfortable--you do have to store you luggage under the bed and it is pretty inaccessable so plan to sleep in your clothes. They provide a snack and carbonated water as well as slippers and a wash up kit. We had heard stories about people breaking in while you sleep but the compartment had a lock that could not be tampered with. You were supposed to be able to get hot tea and coffee but while there was a hot water source, we had no containers so we gave it a pass. Overall, it was fine, just plan to change and shower soon after arrival.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 05:26 PM

Marywhitcomb from the previous posting--I would like to correspond with you re: your trip to Russia this past November. My husband and I will be travelling in Russia in August with General Tours, and I would like some feedback from you on the tour company. My e-mail address is [email protected].
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:11 PM

I did the GT Moscow-StP tour in late May last year and I would also be glad to give you some comments. I loved the trip.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:09 PM

Art-We also used GT on our trip back in 2000, and wouldn't hesitate using them again should we take another package tour. We were very lucky to have great city guides, as well as bus drivers having patience beyond imagination getting us effortlessly thru the traffic congestion in both cities. <BR><BR>Try and get to the Izmalovsky Flea Market during your free time in Moscow-quite easy to reach via the subway. You'll find everything from A-Z at teriffic prices. Bring USD - and be prepared to bargain! <BR><BR>Happy to answer any GT questions also!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:51 PM
Art
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great information.<BR>Probably have more questions later.<BR>