Day train or night Train from Moscow to SPsB

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking a train on November 25 between Moscow and St. Petersburg. I have taken night trains before through Eastern/Central Europe and other day trains. Between these 2 cities, which train would you suggest I take. The day train leaves at 6:30 and takes around 5 hours. The night (Red Arrow) train leaves around midnight and takes around 8 hours. Which train do you suggest. I am looking for safest, easiest train. I am travelling alone so that may make a difference. The cost appears to be close enough to the same. Has anyone taken either one of these trains? What is your suggestion? Any info. As usual, I thank you all for your help.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 03:57 PM

I've taken both the overnight train and the daytime train. All else being equal, I recommend to clients the daytime train. Many people find that the sleeping cars (even first class, which contain two bunks per compartment)are uncomfortable to sleep in, and the bathroom facilities can be bad.

Some people do appreciate that you don't have to get a hotel room for the night of travel, though.

There is also a luxury train (an additional car attached to the Red Arrow) which I have taken-every one who has taken it has raved about its comfort, but it is very expensive (at least twice the first class price).
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 04:50 PM

I didn't find enough of a difference between airfare and the cost of the train to bother with the time and possible discomfort of taking the train. It might be worth checking out.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Since the heightened security as a result of the air tragedies in August, I've been recommending to clients that they look at the schedules a little more carefully, that the day train may be more adventageous time-wise when traveling between Moscow and St. Petersburg. When the longer check in time is combined with horrendous traffic to/from the airport (especially Moscow's Sheremetyevo), often the daytime train takes less time than flying.

Cost wise there is little difference between the train and flying. If you fly transatlantic on Aeroflot, often the flights between Moscow and St. Petersburg is nearly free.

You do need to plan all of this in advance of your trip, as very often specific flights and trains do sell out in advance.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 08:09 PM

If you have taken sleepers in Europe then you know already whether you sleep well on them. If you do, I suggest the night journey. There is a note on getting the best from sleepers and at http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/...ghttrains.htm/. Russia has no couchettes, but has 2 berth and 4 berth sleepers, with toilets and washbasins at the ends of corridors, not in the compartment. Unless you want the luxury car you need not use only the Red Arrow. The Thomas Cook European Timetable shows trains with 2 berth and 4 berth sleepers, and restaurant cars, from Mosow October station thus
Moscow 2301 to St Petersburg 0640
Moscow 2330 to St Petersburg 0650: non stop, no restaurant car
Moscow 2355 to St Petersburg 0755: non stop, Red Star
Moscow 2359 to St Petersburg 0800
Check when you buy your tickets, but I think you can board an hour before you leave, toi have a longer night.

[email protected]
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:41 AM

My children and I were very comfortable on the night train.