St. Petersburg to Moscow by Train or Air

Old Feb 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Petersburg to Moscow by Train or Air

Hi:

My wife and I are trying to determine if it would be more cost effective to travel via train or air between St. Petersburg and Moscow in May '08. We have found air travel takes approximately 1 hour and costs $80/person (on Pulkovo Aviation). However, if we travel via air, we'd have to pay for a hotel which we will cost approximately $200. Our other option is to travel via overnight train. We used Way to Russia to find a place to purchase tickets and they quoted us a 2-berth cabin for around $420.

Please advise if you have any tips/suggestions as well as if there are any other avenues that we can take for purchasing train tickets that might cost less.

Also, is it advisable to purchase train tickets far in advance for travel in mid-May?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:12 AM

Speaking about the cost of your trip there are two things to keep in mind:

1. The transfers to/from the airports are much more expensive than the transfer to/from the train station. (for example in St.Petersburg it can be 30-40 USD difference, Moscow is more expensive). So add this additional charge to your calculation. Also the airports are located quite far away while the train stations are close to the downtown. It means arriving by train you don’t loose time fighting over the traffic.
2. There are many overnight trains going every day between St.Pete and Moscow. Prices vary from 250 to 350 USD for 2-berth cabin. In Russia you can purchase tickets not earlier than 45 days prior to your trip. The cheapest tickets are available in the ticket offices at the train stations in Moscow and St.Pete. If there is anyone to help you with Russian language, on-line booking is a good option (the official web-site of the Russian railways is in Russian only – www.rzd.ru).

Another important point to think of is that the overnight train is very good way of travel only if you are sure you can sleep in the train. If not you will loose the next day arriving too tired to do any sightseeing. Besides the check-in time in the hotel is no earlier than 2.00 pm and night trains arrive at 7.00-8.00 am.

So, there are several ‘pro’ and ‘contra’ for you to think about.

Have a pleasant trip!
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that train trip sounds seriously expensive to me - but then I traveled in a second-class (kupe) compartment. If you have time, I'd recommend taking the train and stopping off in Novgorod for a night - a totally different experience to Moscow and St.P. (My photos of Novgorod are at kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/287618)
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 04:51 AM

Thursdays,

Thank you for your wonderful pictures of Novgorod. Though I was born in St.Pete and love my city I have very warm and special feelings about Novgorod. So I am second to suggest your way of travel – take a train Moscow-Novgorod, spend a night there visiting Kremlin, Yaroslavl’s courtyard, Yuriev monastery, open-air wooden architecture museum and then take a train (or bus which is easier and cheaper) to St.Petersburg. Such a stop off requires one extra day and it is worthy.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 05:18 AM

Kempinsky_Eugenia - glad you enjoyed the photos! I loved Novgorod - and my trip to the Golden Ring towns. The carving on the rural houses was wonderful. I'm interested in your suggestion to take the bus as I traveled across Russia entirely by train. What are the buses like? (At least in the east.) Would you have to book ahead, or could you just show up at the bus station?
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. We actually found the same website translated into English (put "eng" before the name). We will wait until 45 days prior to our trip to see if we can find a train more in our price range.

As for the stop, unfortunately we won't have time. As it is, we have 2 full days in St. Pete and 2 full days in Moscow. We initially were planning on the train because it would allow us to have "full" days - as opposed to having to take time out of our day for a flight and travel to/from airport.

Thanks also for the tip on the expensive transportation to/from the airport. Can we take the metro from the train station to the center of town (in both cities)?

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 04:08 AM

My word is about St.Petersburg – for Moscow you better ask people who live there.

Once you take a train Moscow – St.Pete you arrive on the train station called ‘Moskovsky vokzal’ (Moscow train station). It is located in the very heart of the city – on Nevsky prospect. So you will be able to walk or use the bus or the subway going to your hotel. Or if you plan the sightseeing before check-in you can leave the luggage in the check-room at the train station and start you trip right from the station – you are on Nevsky surrounded by the historical buildings. The Hermitage and the Palace square are about 20 – 30 min walk from you.

As there is so much to do and see in both cities and as I understand you plan to be on your own try get well prepared with the list of sights you want and can see because you can get overwhelmed and feel disappointed that you can’t see everything.

My suggestion is to do general city sightseeing with the churches and the Hermitage on your first day and go to Peterhof by the hydrofoil on the second.

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 04:11 AM

Thursdaysd,

Can’t say anything about the east as I have never been to the far east of Russia. So my suggestion was about the bus for Novgorod – St.Pete. There are quite nice and modern ones on this line.
In the most cases you don’t book a bus ahead you just come to the bus stop at a certain time.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 05:47 AM

Kempinsky_Eugenia - sorry - my bad - I meant west. I gather there's a bit of a road shortage in the east...
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Hi, can you advise on the English Language website where I can buy tickets from St. Petersburg to Moscow for the overnight train? Thanks. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Thanks, Christine
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM

No, but seat61.com probably has that info on the Russia page.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 01:10 AM

Is it worth contacting the Amex travel office in Moscow (in St Pete I think they are in the Grand Hotel Europe)? I've bought tickets several times over the years through local agents in Moscow, last time was with Amex. The Moscow Times also has a section on travel with lists of travel agents who can book trains.