Night-time temperatures

Jun 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Night-time temperatures

We're heading off soon for cities in Italy (Rome, Florence, and Venice), plus Paris and Barcelona. I wasn't sure if I needed one, but I bought a black dress to bring along to maybe wear at restaurants or just in general in the evening. Even though it's short-sleeved, it's a bit heavier weight cotton knit. I'm now ambivalent about bringing it (I will have a skirt with me, but it's more casual).

I don't want to revisit the fashion issue, but I do know it *can* get very hot in the summer where we'll be. On a hot day, do temps fall much in the evening in these cities? If the dress will likely be too hot to wear, I'd just as soon leave it at home.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Jun 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM

Hello, beeswing, I have always packed a black dress when going to Italy. My various cotton dresses be they a heavier cotton or not have always been put to use and I would think your's would also since you are going to three major cities. But if you absolutely do not want to bring it with you do not feel obligated to do so. But personally I have never felt that a cotton knit dress in the evening is any more miserable than say a skirt and some kind of a top. When it it very hot it is hot, lol. Meaning the weather of course!
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:32 PM

Beeswing--I have a basic black knit travel dress, but it's a lightweight polyester knit. If you have a chance, see if you can hit a TJ Maxx /Marshalls etc. to find one. I may even have bought mine at Kohl's, even though I don't usually shop there. Or check Chico's on-sale rack--my black knit travel cardigans came from there.

The dress I have, cheap as it was, never wrinkles, takes up no packing space, and as we discussed before, is a good "dress up/dress down" via scarf, belt, etc. Similar to stuff sold on Magellen's, Travel Smith etc at about 1/3 the price, if that.
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM

You'll feel much more comfortable in a cotton dress than in a polyester dress. If you hang up the knit dress the wrinkles will fall out and as the dress is black any wrinkles will not be very noticeable.

It's not going to matter much if the temps drop at night as the humidity and lack of breeze will make it feel hotter than in the daytime. I don't know about Barcelona but the other cities you're visiting could be humid.

You can always check a weather web site to see average high and low.
Jun 21st, 2010, 08:04 PM

The front of the dress from Zappos is similar to the one I own...

http://www.zappos.com/the-north-face...lack?zlfid=111

...except my straps are a bit wider (mine doesn't convert like this one to strapless). I drape a scarf or wear one of my Chico's cardigans when it's cooler out. I didn't pay $70 for mine, but the fabric, like this one, wicks away moisture, and I can easily sink wash, drip dry it.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 01:42 AM

If this is a weather question then all I can say it will be variable. For two reasons:
Weather is totally unprodicatable.
And you are visiting different counties.
I don't wear a dress so no fashion statements here!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:53 AM

I would bring it.
I'm in San Sebastian, Spain right now, our 4th day.
We come from Portugal and we've had the MOST MISERABLY weather in Portugal and Spain. 10 dayst of Cold, windy, averaging on 13-15 celsius sometimes much less.

What I feel the most I left the jeans due to recommendations of weather being hot in Europe. Well weather IT'S CHANGING. The locals here tell me that they've never seen such a cold windy Spring.
Today is about 18 celsius sunny, but again very windy, whistle wind?

I've wore the Yoga pants and the fleece pants I brought thinking I would use at the end of the trip in Switzerland, not at the beginning of the trip. Dang I've missed my jeans terribly.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:58 AM

I forgot I bought a long sleeve sweater in Portugal due to weather.
I had only with me a black fleece and a rain coat so barely no cover for cold weather. I see people wearing jackets or/and sweaters right now crossing the street to the beach, I'm staying across Zurriola Beach. I just hope Italy is warmer! We leave tomorrow for Barcelona until June 30th.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM

Pooky shame you are not in southern Galicia temps around 30 deg. Centigrade and clear blue skies. Great for a thermal bath.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM

Hello, pookymimi, it is nice to see your posts as I have thought of you.

I had a long talk last night with a dear friend who resides in the Region of Veneto. She said the weather is horrible too, cold and lots of rain and it is still snowing up in the Dolomiti. I asked her if Venice (she lives an hour north of Venice) had the same terrible weather and she said it did.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 01:18 PM

right now it is 18.4 degrees Celsius in my courtyard, which is better than it has been for a while. It is starting to warm up in Paris, so it should go higher than that.
Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM

When is "soon"? Temps climb rapidly in Italy. I think you'll roast in that dress everywhere except maybe Paris. And unless you are planning to go to a very expensive Roman restaurant, I don't think you'll need it.

Is Paris your last stop? How about buying a summer dress along the way for Paris?

I think my strategy would be a broomstick skirt or slim black pants and a really knockout top and a belt. If it's unexpectedly cool, a scarf around the shoulders will do.

http://www.zappos.com/bcbgmaxazria-o...lack?zlfid=111

http://www.zappos.com/bcbgmaxazria-o...grey?zlfid=111

http://www.zappos.com/lilly-pulitzer...navy?zlfid=111
Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:23 AM

Maybe something here would work for you with the right skirt or trousers.

http://www.zappos.com/womens-rsvp-to...avAndThumbs2:2
Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Soon is we're leaving tomorrow. We'll be spending 4 to 5 days in most places, first Rome, then Florence, Venice, Paris, and Barcelona. Thanks for all the suggestions. The dress is packed, but I'm still a little iffy on it.