Summer dress attire

Jul 10th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Riley

Summer dress attire

Just need some advice on what to wear while we are in New York during late August. We are from Northern Ontario so our summers are fairly similar to NYC. We are in our early 30's and are planning on doing a lot of walking during the days- comfortable shoes, khakhi pants and golf shirts for my husband, and capri pants, and jean skirts for me. Are suits necessary for shows? Or is dress pants and a dress shirt without tie okay for my husband and would a linen summer dress be okay for me?

Jul 10th, 2002, 08:09 PM
NYGirl

I think you have chosen perfectly!
Unless you are going somewhere seriously dress up = no tie and jacket are needed.August is hot and humid, but the a/c in most places is frigid,so remember a light sweater or top.
You will most likely do some shopping anyway while you are here!Have fun!

Jul 11th, 2002, 08:29 AM
rqf

Casual dress is perfectly acceptable for shows. Rethink the linen dress - it does wrinkle excessively.

Jul 11th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Kate

I would leave the jean skirts at home. I have a difficult time wearing heavy fabric in July and August especially denum. Perhaps one heavy fabric item if we hit a freakish cools spell. I like light weight fabric even a gauze like cotton if you have. I would not want shorts in the place of a speghetti strapped sun dress. This is just what works for me.

Not to be gross but it just gets so sticky here in August. I like t-back shirts or dresses that keep down the odor factor. Other things loose work well, shorts are too confining for me and tend to make things sticky. Perhaps it is my shorts. I just like the sun dress Idea with a nice sweater or jacket if you want to have a nice dinner.

Jul 11th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Riley

Thank-you for the suggestions. I felt kind of silly asking this question. I'm really excited about this trip. I think I'll find something other than linen, you're right it may get too wrinkled after the show for dinner.

Jul 11th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Susan

Hi, Riley! NYC in August can be brutally hot....it feels much hotter than Northern Ontario b/c of the high humidity.

I wld. leave the jean skirts @ home....too hot, much too heavy. Liz Claiborne does a lightweight cotton blue chambray that might work for you. I love your idea of linen! Who cares about the wrinkles? I wear linen all the time...it's light weight,it breathes & it looks fabulous...evn w/ the wrinkles!!

Now for your husand...I think he will boil in Khaki pants for your "day tours". Bring light weight khaki knee- length shorts & white golf shirts. Save the pants for dinner.

People wear everything to the theatre in NYC! You do not need dress pants & dress shirt. Definitely not a suit! khakis & a nice cotton shirt w/ the sleeves rolled wld. be perfect. And for you? Your linen dress ( what color??) or a pair of black linen capris w/ a black short sleeved or sleeveless sweater & a black silk sweater(or maybe soft blue/grey...or whatever you like!) tied around your shoulders, And, comfortable black slides.

And, don't forget your white cotton shirt!!

Jul 11th, 2002, 08:24 PM
NYGirl

Good linen doesn't wrinkle badly-I have a black Donna Karan linen dress that I wear often,and it looks fine.
The "jeans"or denim skirts that are out now are usually summer weight denim and are not very heavy.It is just the right look of casual but not too!
Susan has it right

Jul 12th, 2002, 08:21 AM
xxx

Who the fuck died and made Susan the fashion police. Arrogant twat.

Jul 12th, 2002, 08:39 AM
bored

Uh oh, there is the brilliant xxx again with his/her clever commentary.

Jul 12th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Elizabeth

I second NYGirl about everything. I wear a lot of linen in the summer here, from Eileen Fisher/C.P.Shades/Flax--some wrinkling is party of the look and it is the most comfortable right-looking thing for the hot days.

Sorry but I don't agree about shorts for the guy. OK for Staten Island Ferry or visiting the Statue of Liberty, or taking out the laundry, but not for midtown or museums. Though one owuldn't be the only one dressed like that and I myself have probably been everywhere dressed every which way at least once in my life.

Jul 12th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Courtney

Elizabeth, then if not shorts, what for Riley's husband?

Jul 12th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Owen O'Neill

Lightweight khakis/docker style pants are fine. I actually wear lightweight worsted wool dress pants 75% of the time I'm in NYC, even when it's hot and they're comfortable. Wearing a cool. comfortable shirt is key and jeans tend to get too hot in August but otherwise, for guys, just relax and wear what's comfortable and looks good. If you were sitting in one place in the sun perhaps shorts would be a good idea but I almost never wear them in the city and I am there a few times per week or more throughout the summer.

Jul 12th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Riley

Thanks for all of the advice. I guess we are just very excited about our first trip to New York and Broadway. I do have some Lightweight denim capri's and my linen dress is lined to hopefully it will be okay. Funny, I've had it a year and never worn it yet. As for my husband, he is most comfortable in pants rather than shorts and same with me. Just wanted to make sure that we wouldn't stick out like sore thumbs or if the all black myth really existed.

Jul 12th, 2002, 09:34 PM
a

I think the all black attire is a thing of the past.

xxx, why so harsh?

Something to consider is that even though NYC is extremely hot, often, the air conditioning is on full blast that I like to carry around a sweater with me.