Search

New Years Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Years Ideas

Hi all!
I would like your input on where in Europe to go for New Years. I'm thinking Paris, London, Munich, and Cannes. Any other ideas?
Thx in advance!
"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death."
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:30 AM

I'm in Athens watching the going-ons in Syntagma square from the terrace of my room. I can't reccomend it, however, as it is my first time there.

London has the usual tackiness associated with Christmas, Cannes is very dull, and Munich is too quiet. Paris is quite pleasant. If you want fantatic scenery anywhere on the Neapolitan Riviera will suffice.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:31 AM

Forget all the others....go to Edinburgh.
It has the biggest organised Hogmanay (New Years Eve for all you non-Scots speakers) celebration in Europe, plus dare I say it, some of the friendliest and most 'up for a party' people you'll ever meet, and is a fabulous experience with up to 200.000 enjoying the celebrations.
You have to apply in advance though for a free pass as it's so popular. If I remember correctly the link is www.edinburghshogmanay.org

This should tell you everything you need to know...
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:35 AM

Absolutely- Scotland!

It's where New Year was born.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:35 AM

Edinburgh can be cold and dry at best, and wet at worst.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:39 AM

Apologies...I forgot to mention that Edinburgh was actually in Scotland and not on a South Pacific Island with a constant temperature of 35?...
I'll try to do better next time.

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:22 AM

I'd take London off your list since I don't believe anything special has been planned again.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:44 AM
AllyPally

Oh come on Jacqui, London is SO exciting at New Years. Last year I had a delightful time watching the events in Edinburgh on the BBC whilst listening to the tin-pot firecrackers being let off outside my flat. I was thrilled.

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:42 AM

Personally, I'd give Auld Reekie a bodyswerve. Place full of Mockneys/ Jockneys and other associated non-locals. It's no biggie. I'd vote for Arizona.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I'm going to be in Auld Reekie for Hogmanay this year. We haven't decided whether or not to go to the street party, but the address given above is correct. I just got an email today to let me know that you can now enter the lottery for tickets or buy First Foot Club passes. They haven't published any of the events except the street party yet, apparently that will come in mid-November.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 05:02 AM

I'll be in Edinburgh, since I live there, and I'll try to get to Princes Street if I can get a ticket (we residents don't get priority unless we live in the closed zone - despite the fact we're paying for it through our local [council] taxes!)

London's a complete disaster at New Year - the authorities actively discourage anything happening. Last year, the Mayor tried to organise something to start at 9pm, so London Underground said they'd close at 8. The mayor moved the start time to 7, so LU said they'd be closing at 6. Trafalgar Square is where people usually congregate, but it's all boarded up and there's no bands or anything else like in Edinburgh.