Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PLZZZZZZZZZzz help me decide.. I will go with the one that gets the most votes.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:33 AM
deciding

I havbe just decided I would like to be in Europe for New Year. I have 3 very different destinations but I do not know which to pick. They areBR>1- Edinburgh- I took a look at the hogmanay site and it looks like fun. I feel like I will be kept busy day and night. My only worry that it gets to a shoving stage in the crowds. Also, I am not the wild parting time.<BR>2- Florence- I am looking into the savoy hotel. I would just love to wander around as well as take drives in the tuscany region.<BR>3- Sorrento- The scenery looks amazing so I was thinking of staying at the Excelsior Vittoria and taking day trips to naples and pompeii and drive the much talked about amalfi coast. My only concern is will it be dead for new year eve?<BR><BR>Please let me know which one you would rather do out of the 3 I have mentioned.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Sheila

I have a well established prejidice; but if this is first time in Europe for New Year, then it has to be Edinburgh. Scotland is where the celebrations begin and end, and anything else is second best.<BR><BR>I've not been to Edinburgh since I live here, but I understand that it's pretty well stewarded and doesn't get out of hand.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 04:14 AM
SA

Florence

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Maira

I've never been to Europe on New Year's Eve, but if I'm ever in the enviable position you are in, I would choose Edinburgh. It would be the opportunity to visit a great city at a very unique time.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Mel

Sheila--surely you mean you haven't been to hogmanay--I know you've been to Edinburgh <BR><BR>By the way, &quot;deciding,&quot; I agree that Edinburgh--any time of the year, but especially then--will be wonderful. It would be my choice.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Dave

Edinburgh. The place speaks for itself, I can't add anything more!<BR>Best wishes, and enjoy your trip!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Edy

#1. Florence<BR>#2. Florence<BR>#3. Florence<BR>I asked your question at work and here are results<BR><BR>Florence 7<BR>Edinburgh 3<BR>Sorrento 2

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Bennet

A friend went Edinburgh for New Year's recently and had a great time- and she and her husband don't drink.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Annie

Edinburgh. You can go to the other places any old time.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:02 AM
janis

Absolutely Edinburgh - it does not get out of hand and is soooooo much fun. Just the fireworks over the castle at midnight would be worth it even if there weren't all the music and dancing

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:06 AM
bill

Edinburgh

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Sheila

Hogmanay's a day, Mel, not a place or a thing.<BR><BR>What I meant to say (and sorry I wasn't clear) was I've never been to Edinburgh to &quot;do&quot; Hogmanay

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:13 AM
UKlver

Definately Edinburgh. Love those Brits and Scots!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Decided

One more vote for Florence

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Ruminating

Hmmm, I am thinking, tell us more about yourself before I decide. It is hard to tell a complete stranger named deciding where to travel on New Years.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:06 AM
sanadas

We will be in FLORENCE

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:28 AM
deciding

Ruminating - I do not know what you would like to know about me so I will just be general. I am 28 and my favorite places in the world are pebble beach (ca), La in the winter, Vancouver,Venice, Lucerne and London. I love reading, travelling, drives and music. Gosh, feel Like I am going on a blind date!*smile*

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:37 AM
peesh

Florence!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Paula

<BR>Sorrento

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Alex

If you're not the wild, partying type, then definitely NOT Edinburgh.<BR><BR>Go with Florence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -