New Year's in Edinburgh

Search

New Year's in Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year's in Edinburgh

I'm planning to spend new year's in Edinburgh at the end of Christmas trip to Europe. Arriving in the city Dec 29 by plane, stay the 30th and 31st, then take a late train to London on Jan 1st. We are a couple in mid 40's with a teenage daughter. I've been to Scotland and Edinburgh once before but it'll be a first for my girls. We'll just stay in the city and enjoy the Christmas market and NY events, which apparently are something not to miss "at least once in one's lifetime". I've already booked a hotel near the old town with free cancellation option, to make sure I have that covered since it will probably be a sold out city. I looked at various planned events and many require advanced tickets, some are already sold out, such as the VIP dinner with reserved seating for watching the fireworks. The thing is I don't want to commit to anything yet, at least until I buy the plane tickets in a few months.
I was wondering if any of you had done this before and if so, what are your tips for getting tickets later in the year, what's not to miss, etc. Do you recommend making a NY eve reservation to a pub in the old town perhaps? I'm sure any tips from first hand experience will be useful, not just for me but for any reader planning such trip to Edinburgh, so thank you in advance!
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 07:57 PM

Hi Alex, we will be spending Hogmanay/New Years in Edinburgh as well this year so I am watching your thread with interest. We also have already booked accommodation. I have found this link very helpful with my planning https://www.edinburghshogmanay.com/ and have also liked their Facebook page as they had reminders on when tickets go on sale and updates in the lead up to last year which was good. We are also in our 40's with two younger Children. The visit Scotland website has also been informative also. Sorry I can't be of more help we are just getting ourselves sorted as well. Goodluck with your planning.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 09:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Last year I went to Edinburgh at the beginning of January, the day after the holiday season had ended -- they were dismantling the Christmas market and the carnival rides on the morning of my arrival. Anyway, here is my photo report of my trip there:

A wee bit of Edinburgh | Any Port in a Storm

(It runs for three pages on the concerned message board.)
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Is it true train service is stopped in Scotland on NY Day? Apparently, only limited trains from Edinburgh to London run January 1st. We'd really need to get to London that evening and I want to avoid flying or taking a bus. Also I will probaby be tired to drive a rental car. Those services could be disrupted as well. Train schedule will only be posted a few months in advance. Any info?
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The British are so weird about that time of year -- anything is possible.