Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel D'Aubusson vs Madison vs Fleurie...which would you choose?Is it worth the extra $ to stay at D'Aubusson?Also ,why isn't Madison recommended in any guidebooks?

Search

Hotel D'Aubusson vs Madison vs Fleurie...which would you choose?Is it worth the extra $ to stay at D'Aubusson?Also ,why isn't Madison recommended in any guidebooks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may very well be my final Paris hotel question as I leave next week!

If you had your choice, which would you choose Hotel D'aubusson or Le Madison or Fleurie? I think I can get Daubusson at 260/night and I already have Madison at 200/night and Fleurie at 185/night.

D'Aubusson seems to consistently get good reviews from all sources of information that I have used. I am just not sure its worth the extra $ for 4 nights?
Madison is not recommended in any of the guidebooks and I wonder if its due to the erratic front desk service I have read about here - any thoughts?
I am starting to think Fleurie is a family friendly hotel and not what we are looking for on this trip however it has recieved great reviews everywhere I have looked.
I leave Sunday so I really need feedback, please!

Thanks,Lisa
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 09:29 PM

ttt
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:32 AM

i stayed at fleurie last time and would recommend it..what do you mean by a family friendly hotel?
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:08 AM

For a $60 or $75 savings per night as compared to the d'Aubusson, and since the Madison appeals to you, go for it, or for the Fleurie. It is always well-reviewed, and it is unlikely you will hate it."Family friendly" to me means that they have some larger rooms for sharing, that they are used to children, that their prices are economical, perhaps that they have TV or minibars. It doesn't necessarily mean that children are running noisily through the hallways, if that's your concern. The likely worst case is that you will say "next time I'll spend a bit more for a bit more luxury."

I am a big fan of the d'Aubusson, but was on a trip that time when budget was less of an issue. If I were going this year, for example, I'd be looking for a simpler, less expensive place.

When you return, please report back.
thanks
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:00 AM

Hi Lisa,
I've stayed at le Madison, considered and looked at the Fleurie for a future trip and am an admirer of the d'Aubusson. While the d'Aubusson has a touch more luxury than le Madison, the price and location are the deciding factors for me. I prefer le Madison's location on a tiny side street across the blvd. from Place St. Germain to both Fleurie's, at the bustling Odeon, and the d'Aubusson's on Rue Dauphine.
Although the d'Aubusson is closer to the Seine, I enjoy the shops, bars, cafes, restaurants and atmosphere in the surrounding area of le Madison more. I would pay the 15 euro per night difference to have the spaciousness, superb bath and views at le Madison (plus American style buffet breakfast included), but I wouldn't spend 60 euros more per night for the D'Aubusson, as lovely as it is.

By the way, we've enjoyed the desk staff at le Madison. We find Alain, the desk clerk-concierge-valet-man who does everything-man in perpetual motion to be funny and entertaining. He took good care of us and treated us kindly, as did Christian and the others. Yes,I have read comments here about the snippy front desk staff, but they didn't strike us that way at all. After reading those comments, we were expecting to find some "frostiness" but didn't.
I'm not sure why le Madison doesn't appear in more guides. Their clientele isn't primarily American. During our stay we did meet Americans but also many French who appeared to be regular, repeat guests and interestingly, a large number of guests from Brazil, again repeat clientele. Le Madison does appear in the red Michelin and in the French hotel guides (published in French) I've purchased in Paris.
If you do choose le Madison, I'd also be very interested to read about your stay.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:34 AM

Lisa,

Not having stayed at the Madison or de Fleurie, and having stayed twice at D'Aubusson, I think this is already a statement of my preference for d"Aubusson.

However, d'Aubusson has no rooms with the view of L'Eglise de S. Germain, as does the Madison. D'Aubusson's rates don't include breakfast, as I believe the Madison's do.

I love the classic decor, the neutral color scheme of D'Abusson, as I love its bar, its breakfast room, and the very modern fixtures, the speed of its elevator, the bathrooms, and the comfort of its beds. It's very well served with restaurants and patisseries in the immediate vicinity, and as Maribel says, it's closer to the Seine and Pont Neuf than are the Madison and de Fleurie.

Now, it's up to you to decide, knowing that the Madison has many faithful fans on this board, and that price difference will be likely higher than you figured, considering the breakfast factor ( unless the rates you're given include it).
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Regarding Fleurie it appears that in every guidebook I have read ( 3 or 4) refers to their accomodation of kids.
This sentiment is echoed on this board as well. This is great for families however, on this trip I prefer not to have a room where there are crying kids on both sides of us. I am trying to gage if that will be the case.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 05:10 AM

Interesting . . I have stayed at the Fleurie three times and never saw or heard rug rats . .

Rich