new vatican hours

Search

new vatican hours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new vatican hours

does anyone have any suggested strategy for the vatican museum now that it has new hours (giving tour groups priority up until 10am)? we are normally loathe to join large tour groups, but with our 13 year-old in tow, we also don't want to end up in any lines that are longer than necessary. any smart suggestions? thanks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:06 AM

While I can't be sure, I believe the Vatican itself is still doing their own tours. You fax your request to them a month or more in advance and hopefully you'll get your confirmation faxed back to your hotel the day before your visit.

You bypass all the lines, you get a tour guide and an appointed time. The cost is like $10 or so more than a standard entry ticket.

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

daveesl -- thanks so much! i assume i can find out about their tours on their website? do you know how large the group is typically, and the duration (with our 13 year old in mind)?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Sorry, I forgot to post the Vatican website.

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...zi_Visite.html

The fax # isn't quite complete, remember to add 039 (country code) to the front of the number.

The group was about 20 people. You are given your own headset.

Remember to send all the information correctly, including the fax # of the hotel. You will not receive your reply until the day before your tour is scheduled. As a side note, we did our fax like 3 months in advance. 2 weeks prior to leaving we changed hotels and worriedly faxed the new fax number to the Vatican. Fingers were crossed that they got the info. They did and on the night of Dec. 24th we got out faxed confirm at the new hotel for the 26th.

It is SO WORTH THE MONEY!!! And it's lots cheaper than the commercial tours. Plus, if you want, you can leave the group and do your own tour. Just remember to turn in your headset before you enter the Sistine Chapel.

Also, at the far right corner of the Sistine there is a doorway that leads directly to St. Peter's. Ignore the sign about groups only and bypass the line into St. Peters.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:35 AM

Daveesl

I had a look at the page you listed. Just to confirm your tour was in English and not in Italian; it seems the Sat tours are only in Italian and not the weekday tours?
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:08 AM

I never do tour groups---except at the Vatican. That is the only good way to see it. There are several good ones at various price points--check it out.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Just thought I would add to the tip about the bypass to St. Peter's -- be sure to take this as it will I believe lead you around to the Vatican gift shop. Here is were you can purchase rosaries, stamps, cards to mail to friends back home from the Vatican mail box (Vatican cancellation). Bring a sheet with your addresses if you can't remember them -- I know my Catholic family - friends enjoyed receiving their Pope John Paul II stamps and Sistene Chapel postcards. I personally would rather make a purchase directly from the Vatican gift shop than from the many vendors set up outside the gates. The gift shop is low key and maybe hard to spot -- ask for directions if you hadn't spot it (I believe many people miss it -- I know my sister did they first time she went).
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:24 AM

The Vatican tour lasts two hours - but the time will speed by - and ends outside the Sistine Chapel, where you can spend as much time as you want. With headphones, it didn't matter that the group was a bit large; we could hear the tour guide regardless of where we stood.