Vatican & Colosseum Tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two young daughters-in-law and I are off to Italy as first-timers in April! We've put loads of hours into researching, reading and checking out this site, which is amazing! We have so many questions, but will start with this ... Should we take the guided tour offered by the Vatican Museum? I can't find where it includes St. Peter's Basilica -- Is that correct? Would you try to do the Scavi Tour in addition or instead of St. Peter's? Is there a particular tour company that is recommended? Has anyone used "Presto Tours"? Should we take a guided tour of the Colosseum/Roman Forum/Palatine Hill? Or should we tour it on our own? (We want info, history & mostly fun) -- I'm confused!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:53 PM

We toured the Vatican/St. Peters and Colosseum/Forum (on two separate days) with http://www.romewalks.com/. We were very-very pleased with the quality of the tours and I would highly recommend this company. They do both, small groups (we did this) and private tours.

Anna Roz
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:29 AM

We really liked our tour of Ancient Rome with ICON, and would have used them for the Vatican but it was closed to due Pope John Paul's passing.

I really believe you need a guide for Ancient Rome (Colosseum, etc.). Unless you enjoy carrying big guidebooks around. They ended the tour in the Mamertine Prison...very moving.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Is it correct that only those tours scheduled through the Vatican itself are allowed to go directly in, therefore missing the queues? All other tours must wait in line? If so, then shouldn't we book through the Vatican site?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:37 AM
MaureenB

I think the Vatican may have changed its rules since we used their guided tour last May. We followed the fax instructions on the Vatican website, and were given a reservation time of 2:00 for our tour. It was great, since the line was a few blocks long and we went right in. Our tour group was only about 8 people, our guide used headsets and was very good.

The tour includes the Vatican Museums and the Sistene Chapel. You can then go directly into St. Peter's Basilica from the back door of the Chapel, but the tour ends at the Sistene Chapel.

I would definitely not skip St. Peter's. It was gorgeous, and Michelangelo's Pieta is not to be missed. Have fun in Rome! (I posted a detailed thread about getting reservations via the Vatican last Spring. You can probably still find it by searching.)
>-

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM

Went in October-I would book the Scavi tour on-line ASAP & hope you get it-for the St.Peter/Vatican and the Colosseum/Forum I highly recommend Context Rome-very professional & informative-we used them in Rome, Pompeii & Florence-they have a website.Good luck & after the Colosseum,go to San Clemente church-it is very close & is a true hidden gem!!!