Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"VIATOR" Vatican tour? looking for cheaper skip the line, open NY eve?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. This is surely a reseller, but the link comes through on various reputed sites, and I am looking for a tour on New Years Eve Day. Some say it is closed? Hard to tell from Vatican site, but I think it is open.

I don't care to have a private, in-depth tour. Just want to beat the line, have a guide, and see the majority of the what is there. Sistine Chapel is a must, obviously. And I would like a guide within St. P., as opposed to just ending at SC and being able to walk through on our own.

Any better recommendation? I hate that I don't know the name of the actual tour, but geez, for the four of us (family with two teen sons), I don't want to pay the 400 euros to get a 'name'. Walks of Italy has one, but no guide within St. P, for 200 (for four). And maybe that is worth it, but they don't go on the 31st. (or have the guide within SP)

I could change some things and do the 30th. And with the mixed opinions of whether it is open or not (I think it is) maybe not take that gamble....just would require rescheduling other events as we got in the Scavi on 1/2 and the jumble began!!

Anyway, just mainly seeing if anyone has done this Viator service and been pleased.

Many thanks
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 05:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
According to the Vatican website, it's open regular hours NYE.

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...dario2013.html

The Vatican has tours available that day at 8:30 and 10:30 (Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel). 32€ per person.

Martedì 31 Dicembre 2013
Orario Disponibilità Seleziona
08.30 Disponibile Seleziona
10.30 Disponibile Seleziona

They (the Vatican) aren't listing availability for museums/St. Peter's tour that day. They do have audio guides you can rent in St. Peter's and there used to be a free tour (once a day I think). Sorry, it's in Italian only. Scroll down and you can see a pic of the rental desk for the audio guides.

http://www.vatican.va/various/basili...audioguide.htm
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 06:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You book the free tours of St. Peter's (if still offered) at the information desk in the Vatican Post Office on the left side of the square when facing St. Peter's (there are two VA PO's on the square (one on each side, but only the left has info desk). This is not the same place as where you would rent an audio guide.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 06:07 AM

Here is a tour that I have taken and recommended to others. It is a fantastic tour and reasonably priced as well.

http://angeltours.eu/vatican/vatican-tour

The above link is just the Vatican tours. You can check out their other tour offerings as well.

They offer a free Pantheon tour as well. Your best bet is to contact them via email and see what will be open NYE. Your teenagers will love the tour. They will take you on tour of St. Peter's Basilica also, amazing to see! Their tours are informative as well as done w/ a sense of humor. You will be pleased!

Email: [email protected]

If u want to call them the phone #'s are on the website. Good luck.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 06:53 AM

I've used Viator in Barcelona. They are a reseller and do not give the tours themselves but use local guide companies. The tour I took was given by the Barcelona TI and the Viator price was the same as the TI price. I don't think there would be a problem booking through Viator.

The Viator price is almost exactly the same as the Enjoy Rome price for the Vatican and Enjoy Rome is one of the least expensive options for the Vatican tours.

To get anything less expensive you would need to book your tickets from the Vatican site and get audio tours.

The Vatican offers tours of both the Museums and St. Peter's for almost the same price as the above tours.

<< And with the mixed opinions of whether it is open or not >>

I'm not sure why you think the Vatican Museums are not open or where these opinions came from. But why not use fact rather than opinion.

Both Enjoy Rome and Viator offer tours on December 31 and the Vatican site show ticket availability. December 31 is not shown on the list of Vatican closed days.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

adrienne, the mixed opinions were from an unnamed tour company I spoke with. She said sometimes 'they' close that day, despite the site. Anyway, I will check out Enjoy Rome. Thank you for the mention. Glad your experience in Barcelona was positive. ...just trying to cut some costs when I can...and here, I think the surroundings speak for themselves!! Forum, yes, a guide is helpful!!

Luvto, thanks for the link, I have an email into them. Curious why they publish so little on their site about prices. But they sound perfect. What size was your group? Sent them a request for info on several cities they cover. Great find, thanks!!

kyb, thanks. I think the listing of nothing for St. P. that day was some of the confusion. Just trying to get the 31st if I can, I know St. P. won't be 'closed', but I guess no tours. Thank you. I think I'd rather book in advance, so will try some of the links mentioned, but know audio guides are available if all fails!! Marvelous site, can't wait for my kids to see it. Thanks for your help!

Anyone else run into this?? 500 euros here and 500 euros there (yes, "we traveled half way across the world, gotta really see this site right" mentality) And then you see you've racked up many thousands of dollars in tours!! When you know an audio guide and just being there is sometimes good enough!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 08:21 PM

Sometimes there are free tours of St. Peter's given by tour companies to entice you to book one of their paid tours. I've run into this in the afternoon. Look for a group gathering on the steps.

You really only need a good guide book explanation of St. Peter's. The tour was interesting but not mandatory. After all, there are many magnificent churches in Rome and I've not seen any guided tours for other churches.
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 10:05 AM

Hi mmm, yes, we loved our tours w/ Angel Tours. In fact, the first time we visited Rome I organized a group tour as we were arriving Rome off a cruise ship. We had 8-10 in our tour and it was truly a wonderful tour. We learned so much of the history of Vatican/St. Peter's, etc. and everyone in the group said what a wonderful day they had.

Our 2nd visit to Rome we had 6 of us in a tour of the city (our driver picked us up at the ship), we visited St. Peter's and had a tour there,we had purchased Scavi tixs on our own so the Angels worked around our Scavi tixs w/ their tours. Worked out very well.

As I noted, I have recommended the Angels to many people and everyone has been very happy w/ their tours.

The Angels have many nice tours in Rome as well as other cities that it is probably easier to contact them directly for more information.

Go over to Trip Advisor, Rome forums, and you will see lots of positive reviews of the Angels tours. You won't be disappointed. Tell Sean I recommended you!