Scavi Tour - Vatican

Search

Scavi Tour - Vatican

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scavi Tour - Vatican

I'm hoping to get some clarification on the Scavi Tour. Is this a tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Square? or is it the underground tour? Does anyone have an e-mail address for the Vatican tour office or can one only reserve by fax? I'm going to be in Rome from July 21 - 25th and by reading posts in the Fodor's forums, it appears that I should have my tour booked before I leave for Rome. I've also looked at the Context Tours and if someone can tell me what tours they took with that provider it would be helpful as well. Thank you.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Scavi are the excavations of Roman-era structures under St. Peter's basilica. Tours are avaialble through the Scavi office only.

Other parts of the Vatican (museums, St. Peter's basilica, the ssquare) can be seen on your own or with many different tour providers.

I've used ContextRome for ancient Rome, art of the Vatican, and the Renaissance walk. All were excellent.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kayd. I think now I know what to do. Does the Vatican provide regular tours as well?
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM

This is a Fodors post of mine about the Scavi Tour http://tinyurl.com/ydmw88

The 2 main popular tours from Context are the Ancient Rome tour (Colosseum, Forum, Palatine) and the Vatican tour.

I would highly recommend both those tours and I doubt you'd be disappointed in any others you might choose based on your interests. Regards, Walter
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 07:46 AM

PAradiseLost...I'd love to see your post, but it comes up as an error...help!

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 07:56 AM

ugogirl - I did a search and believe I found the post by paradiselost.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34888402

I did the Scavi Tour myself in Sept. 2005 and it was wonderful. After submitting a tour request to the Scavi office, I didn't hear back for well over a month and had given up hope of getting in for our trip. Then, (miracle of miracles) I received an e-mail back less than a week before we were set to depart, letting me know that we were booked for a Scavi tour slot. I was on cloud nine! Good luck on making your reservation.